Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,484   Online: 890

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use a 120-watt R-40 bulb - I found a 300-watt bulb at Grainger (thanks to Jim) and promptly broke it. Then I thought about it and realized that Michael A. Smith, IIRC, uses a 300-watt bulb at about 4-feet above the paper. The bulb holder I made puts the bulb only about a foot and a half above the paper. At that distance, the 300-watt would probably have been too bright. So, using your enlarger to put the bulb closer to the paper will probably work just fine for you. I'd caution everyone to be sure to get a "floodlight" not a spotlight. They look identical and are packaged very similarly - but the floodlight has a beam that spreads across the paper - the spotlight will produce a very hot spot in the center with significant fall off towards the edge of the paper. I learned this the hard way.
    juan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Juan,
    How do you keep from blinding yourself with the bulbso close to the paper? David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    I also use a 120-watt R-40 bulb - I found a 300-watt bulb at Grainger (thanks to Jim) and promptly broke it. Then I thought about it and realized that Michael A. Smith, IIRC, uses a 300-watt bulb at about 4-feet above the paper. The bulb holder I made puts the bulb only about a foot and a half above the paper.
    I don't think Michael and Paula's setup has the bulb quite that far away. It's probably closer to 3.5 ft. I use 3 ft. exactly and their exposures are a little longer than mine for an identical print.

1.5 feet seems awfully close. I think I'd want it to be at least two feet away, if only to make sure that you're getting good even illumination across your printing frame.

Joe Freeman tells me that his exposure times with the new grade 3 are annoyingly long, so he's thinking about going down to two feet away. I still have enough of the old grade 3 so that I won't have to worry about it for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine may be closer to two feet - I've never actually measured it. But the inverse square law works here, as well as with negative exposure, so if you have the bulb closer to the print, you can get away with lower wattage. And you're correct that one needs to be sure of getting good, even illumination across the paper.

Jim, thanks for the heads up on the Grade 3 - I'll be ordering more soon and didn't realize it had changed, too.
    juan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin