Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,354   Online: 1189

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cirkut paper?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

One Roll

Nick-I like the idea that I'm in control for the period of time that I have the materials. It's my firm opinion that your materials speak for who you are as an artist. This issue with paper manufacturors going in and out of business really has me going. I have enough Fote for about 4 months on hand but when it is back out in late May I'm going to contact the NEW importer about rolls. I'm going to be darn sure that they are not just whipping the stuff out to be in business. It's funny-I bought alot of the PolyV when Forte first was in trouble. Yesterday while printing I could have sworn that it was Bergger VC instead. Now we both know it comes out of the same factory but maybe they were just putting stuff into boxes irregardless of which side of the factory it was being made on. Maybe it's time to try some of the Adox, etc. that J+C is selling.
    Maybe we can have a roll cutting party! Peter

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Peter

Nick makes some good points. I use both colour and B&W roll paper and both are easy to use. I've found the colour paper doesn't go off or change filtration for years, how many I don't know but I don't give it any special treatment.

If you're cutting a lot of paper I'd recommend a paper dispenser, they turn up on ebay now and then, not just in the photo section either, I think graphics proffessionals must use them as well. The paper dispensers can be programmed to cut a full roll to set lengths so all you do is stand there and catch the cut paper coming out. They cut with great accuracy to 1 millimetre and can cut a single sheet to hundreds. For me it's one of the best pieces of darkroom gear I have.

The Forte paper you mention I used both warm and cold tone in 40" wide rolls fibre based. Because the rolls are short they have a very tight curl in them which is difficult to deal with. I try and avoid them if I can. Forte will supply (at least they used to) fibre rolls in narrower sizes too with a minimum order of 4 x 500 foot rolls.

Clayton

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shortness

Clay-when you say short you are meaning the overall length-no? So it is better to stay away from the short ones.which I will. Silverprint advertised them in 10meter length/approx. 30 feet. If I was going to invest in the rolls I would also get the dispenser. Might as well have the right tool for the job.
    To Nick and Clay I want thank you for your information. It's always good to go into a new situation feeling one has a grip on it; i.e. paper in rolls.
    Have a great day both you - Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clay are you using a roll easel? Or is the paper dispenser something different? I actually had bought a roll easel but the seller backed out. I've learned to live without it. For B&W Peter would have the luxury of a safelight making things relatively easy.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Folks

I buy agfa classic and Ilford warmtone in 50inch x100 ft rolls. For specific projects we set up a safe light situation in our sawroom and cut the 50 inches down to the width we need ie 26inches x 100ft.
    This works real well, just count your fingers before going in the sawroom and going out.
    My only problem with roll paper is the curl, which is present with any of the papers I have tried.
    Using a roll dispenser then is a piece of cake to cut the desired length, I am looking for a vertical two turret econoroll if any one knows of a used one kicking about.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=claytume]Peter

RC has very little curl and flattens out no problem. Close to the end of the roll it has more curl but still not a problem. Fibre does have more curl and is worse with mural rolls because the rolls are shorter (in length) and all the paper is close to the roll core.

This brings upthe question, What if I washed the paper then let it dry to take out the curl? Would there be a issue with prewashing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you'd end up with more waste then it's worth. I cut my paper at least the night before and stack it in the paper safe. If I cut enough it stays like that for awhile. I guess you could put a weight on it? Or something to get the curl out if it bothered you.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Clay are you using a roll easel? Or is the paper dispenser something different? I actually had bought a roll easel but the seller backed out. I've learned to live without it. For B&W Peter would have the luxury of a safelight making things relatively easy.
    Nick

While I do use a roll easel a paper dispenser is different. The dispenser is for converting roll paper to sheets, the easel for printing on roll paper. The dispenser has an automatic cutting knife and millimetre cut increments. They save a lot of time and you get perfectly cut sheets every time.

Clayton

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Clay-when you say short you are meaning the overall length-no? So it is better to stay away from the short ones.which I will. Silverprint advertised them in 10meter length/approx. 30 feet. If I was going to invest in the rolls I would also get the dispenser. Might as well have the right tool for the job.
    Peter

it was the the 10 metre rolls I was using, if you use the longer rolls you still have the same problem when the roll gets down to the core end. You can cut the rolls into sheets then stack them together and put some weight on them, they will flatten out over a few days (weeks would be better). Remember though fibre paper always has a curl, even after processing it doesn't sit flat.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did a bit of surfing. Found a few paper cutter/dispensers. I'm afraid to ask what they cost -) Did find out I could buy a whole one colour printing press for $800. Or at least that's what it looked like.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin