Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,473   Posts: 1,570,973   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Ansel's contact show

October 27 to November 25, 1936, at the American Place gallery owned and operated by Stieglitz, Ansel exhibited 45 prints from negs made between 1931 and 1936.

Most were 8 x 10, some were 4 x 5, all were contact prints.

This was Adam's initial show in New York.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Darn it. I read this post and at first thought it was about an upcoming show of Ansel's contact prints. I'd certainly make it down to NYC to see that!
    Robert Hunt

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I apologize Robert,

I had been doing some reading and just thought I would share that bit of historical trivia which surprised me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw a show in Gainesville, Florida last summer that had a number of Ansel's contact prints - or, perhaps, some were small enlargements. The prints were from a private collection. It was very surprising to see some of his familiar images printed small and less Wagnarian.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    October 27 to November 25, 1936, at the American Place gallery owned and operated by Stieglitz, Ansel exhibited 45 prints from negs made between 1931 and 1936.

Most were 8 x 10, some were 4 x 5, all were contact prints.

This was Adam's initial show in New York.
    I saw shows as late as 1970 wherein the Adams prints were contact prints. They were beautiful, too. All of 'em.

I've also seen a lot of his marvelous early work ruined by enlargement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of curiosity, were Adams' contact prints on Azo? I don't remember him talking about Azo in his books (I might be forgetting though), but I think he'd be someone to use that paper.
    -Grant

Adams did use Azo (it is mentioned in the book on making 40 photographs and I quote him in my update article on Azo), but he used other silver chloride papers as well. Back in the 30s and 40s photographers had a selection of silver chloride papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Adams did use Azo (it is mentioned in the book on making 40 photographs and I quote him in my update article on Azo), but he used other silver chloride papers as well. Back in the 30s and 40s photographers had a selection of silver chloride papers.
    Thanks. I've only flipped through that book a couple of times, and obvioulsy I missed it.
    -Grant

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I remember a story about a critic that lamblasted Adam. He said that the exhibit was boring and dull, because the prints were all the same size. I don't recall which show it was? But, I believe, Adam's wanted to prove that content is more important context in judging works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    I remember a story about a critic that lamblasted Adam. . . .
    With a few notable exceptions, if you can't "do", you teach. If you can't teach, you become a critic.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin