Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,243   Online: 931

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    Can I ask a dumb question. What is Azo? I have never come across it.

David.
    Azo is a silver rich silver chloride / gelatin paper only really suitable for contact printing due to the very slow emulsions speeds obtainable using AgCl.

As such it's in high demand from a small dedicated bunch of Large & Ultra Large Format photographers.

Chloride emulsions have a potential for far higher tonality and really require negatives exposed and developed to match their capabilities.

Ian

Kodak closed its factory in São Jose dos Campos, São Paulo.
    Official news: " Medical products will be made in our factory in Manaus, Amazonas. The rest of products will be supplied by Rochester."
    The truth : Professional products disappeared from the shelves of the stores.
    Good Bye Kodak.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio caetano
    The truth : Professional products disappeared from the shelves of the stores.
    Good Bye Kodak.
    Quite wrong

They disappear because markets change and things evolve

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And somethings in the medical field things do not change. Strange they are retaining film to do exrays on mamograms, because they show more than digital capture does. Tells me what kind of medical equpiment I want when a diagnosis is needed.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "What is Azo? I have never come across it."

In your local pharmacy you often come across it on the shelf of treatments for hemmoroids.

Ian
    At least 3 great distributors of Kodak here in SP have several orders not attended by Kodak. The owners of these stores are quite upset because they have demand (art schools, professional and hobbyist people) for these products. Kodak argues they are having some trouble with customs in Santos harbour.
    I live here in SP, you live in UK. Don't say what you do not know.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Will the closure of the Kodak Brazil paper plant effect AZO, or have they moved production yet again?

Having just got going with AZO again after a number of years I don't really want to get pulled up short
    I emailed Michael Smith about this yesterday and he could only respond briefly because he and Paula are doing a workshop this weekend.

Azo has never been made in Brazil. The last master rolls of it that Kodak produced were made in Canada. At that time it was envisioned that any future production runs would take place in Brazil, but now that won't be possible.

However, the last run produced 6 years worth at current consumption levels. We're still at least 3 years away from the precipice, whether you're talking about either grade 2 or grade 3.

Michael will contact Kodak as soon as he can and report back to us as to what their avowed intentions are.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    I emailed Michael Smith about this yesterday and he could only respond briefly because he and Paula are doing a workshop this weekend.

Azo has never been made in Brazil. The last master rolls of it that Kodak produced were made in Canada. At that time it was envisioned that any future production runs would take place in Brazil, but now that won't be possible.

However, the last run produced 6 years worth at current consumption levels. We're still at least 3 years away from the precipice, whether you're talking about either grade 2 or grade 3.

Michael will contact Kodak as soon as he can and report back to us as to what their avowed intentions are.

Jim
    weird.

I thought in the past Michael said Azo was no longer made in Canada production had been moved to Brazil... probably no one really knows

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim
    weird.

I thought in the past Michael said Azo was no longer made in Canada production had been moved to Brazil... probably no one really knows
    When they shut down the Canadian operation after running the last master rolls of grade 3, Michael told us that they were planning at that time to move the operation to Brazil. He said this on the Azo Forum; I remember it well. Kodak never made the move for whatever reason. They may set it up somewhere else, they may not.

Anyway, I'm ordering a box this week. There's years' worth left.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am confident that "if" the day comes that Kodak's AZO runs out, an alternative will be available. it may be a similar emulsion or the AZO formula produced by someone else. There is a substantial market to provide it as a niche product and from what I gathered at the Texas workshop more and more people wanting to use it.

Perhaps Michael could give us some input on what we, as AZO users, can do now to help make that a reality.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin