Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,730   Online: 856

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Kodak Brazil closures

Will the closure of the Kodak Brazil paper plant effect AZO, or have they moved production yet again?

Having just got going with AZO again after a number of years I don't really want to get pulled up short

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Azo was to go out of production (I have no reason to think it will) then with Kodak already only supplying through one distributor it would be remarkably easy for Michael & Paula to approach an alternative manufacturer and have a similar paper made to order.

After all that is exactly what Chicago Albumen did with Kentmere for POP. after their french supplier ceased trading. Silver Chloride emulsions are by far the easiest of the Silver halde emulsions to manufacture, and most manufacturers would have formulae & production notes in their archives.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    What makes me nervous is that I believe it is a lot harder to produce than you may think, in addition to not being economical. This is why no one else is now making it. I have been told enough AZO has been made to last many years, but we always have to look down the road and speculate what may happen next.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    If Azo was to go out of production (I have no reason to think it will) then with Kodak already only supplying through one distributor it would be remarkably easy for Michael & Paula to approach an alternative manufacturer and have a similar paper made to order.

After all that is exactly what Chicago Albumen did with Kentmere for POP. after their french supplier ceased trading. Silver Chloride emulsions are by far the easiest of the Silver halde emulsions to manufacture, and most manufacturers would have formulae & production notes in their archives.

Ian
    Ian,

It's a nice thought, but not so easy in practice.

Whoever approaches EK had better be offering them more cash then they would realize in a write-down of the AZO manufacturing plant, property, and equipment. That could prove to be a non-trivial amount.

There is enough Azo already made to last many years. And for a number of years we have been working on an alternative. We expect fruition soon. I cannot say more at this time.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    There is enough Azo already made to last many years. And for a number of years we have been working on an alternative. We expect fruition soon. I cannot say more at this time.
    Now there's positive news! Enough Azo for years to come and an alternative if ever we run out! Thanks Michael.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak will be selling off their capital equipment (cheap, most likely) to recover what they can salvage for their cash flow. There is an opportunity for someone with cash to walk in and buy some manufacturing machines at a good price. Any bets on it heading east or west? tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now here's a forward thinker for you, and Michael exactly what I'd expect to here from you. Actually it's going on throughout the industry and will produce new life blood into traditional photography.

I think we'll see excellent new B&W papers from unexpected sources over the next two or three years.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Err

The coating plant & emulsion manufacturing facilities can be switched from Azo, to Bromide to RA-4, inkjet what ever in a modern facility. Also from paper to film :-)

Quote Originally Posted by aldevo
    Ian,

It's a nice thought, but not so easy in practice.

Whoever approaches EK had better be offering them more cash then they would realize in a write-down of the AZO manufacturing plant, property, and equipment. That could prove to be a non-trivial amount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can I ask a dumb question. What is Azo? I have never come across it.

David.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin