Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,901   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

AZO master rolls OK

Michael Smith posted on the AZO forum that Kodak has told him that they will not destroy the master rolls of AZO.

So that means business as usual for the next few years with regards to AZO and what looks to be a promising future for a new contact paper.

Thanks for all your efforts keeping AZO avaliable Michael and as I have said before I will help in any way I can make a new paper available.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've heard rumors of this new contact paper. Can anyone elaborate on it?

-Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    I've heard rumors of this new contact paper. Can anyone elaborate on it?

-Mike
    Really not much to elaborate on yet, Mike. Micahel is keeping things very low on this but you can bet that whatever comes out will be either as good - or better - than AZO. I do believe he's been working on this for some time as he vaguely hinted at this last May (04) when I was on his workshop (if memory serves me well). It'll be intersesting to see what does happen over the next while. Looking forward to the coming weeks/months.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, I read the thread on his site. Greg Davis (he's always up to something) even mentioned going back to an old paper that EW used to print on and re-creating that formula. Some guys jumped onto the U.S. patent web-site to start searching for formulas! Having seen a lot of EW's old vintage prints, I'd love to get my hands on some of that paper. An AZO print by Alex Hawley is the closest modern print that I've seen that even comes close.

At any rate, I have a lifetime supply of AZO Gr 2 at home and I just ordered 500sh of Gr3 from him, so I'll be set on AZO for quite some time.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with!

Thanks.

-Mike

Paula and I are attempting to have the new paper made even better than Azo. Those of you who know us personally know that we are somewhat fanatical about quality--in our prints and in our books. We don't really care how someone makes a print--platinum, Azo, enlargement, etc., as long as it is of quality. So we will not compromise on the paper to the extent that we have any say in it--and since the paper is being made to our specifications, we do have at least some say in it. How much say, we don't know, but we'll certainly do our best.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Paula and I are attempting to have the new paper made even better than Azo.
    Michael - which properties are you hoping your new paper would be "even better than Azo"?

Q: "What would make an "even better" Azo?"

A: A true Grade 2 for starters. The current grade 2 is on the soft side and it is difficult to get a rich black. I have seen gorgeous prints on it, however, and a few folks swear by it, but we would prefer the grade 2 to have more contrast.

Also: a slightly (very slightly) warmer color, although this can be modified by the developer.

We will have more sizes--11x14 being the first that comes to mind.

Outside of that, nothing I can think of.

It will still be single weight.

If anyone has used it extgensively and has ideas on something different they would like to see, let me know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael, I agree there is a gap between Grade 2 and Grade 3. I find myself using a long waterbath with Grade 3 and still can't quite get to where a harder grade 2 would be.

Also, if the speed of Grade 3 was a little faster and closer to grade 2 like it used to be, and the warmth of the two about equal.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Q: "What would make an "even better" Azo?"

If anyone has used it extgensively and has ideas on something different they would like to see, let me know.
    Since we are wishing, how about 16x20 sized sheets and maybe a grade 4?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Yes, it would be good to have the colors the same on all grades. It would also be good to have the speed the same, too, although my guess is that is unlikely. I believe the contrast grade effects speed. The more contrast, the slower the paper.

We will try to get a Grade 4 made, although not right away. That is in the plans.

16x20. Maybe. Maybe. But only if there is sufficient demand. We cannot afford to stock sizes that don't move. However, we probaly will be able to make special orders in minimum quantities. And several users can combine for the minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin