Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,628   Online: 1176

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Problem with AZO bubbling on mount...

Hopefully someone can help me out with this serious problem! I am using AZO paper, and dry mounting it too Artcare 4ply board using various drymount tissue (Seal MT5, Color Mount, Arisa Drymount). A few days after dry mounting, my prints start to get large air bubbles below the print! I heat press the board and print at 220 before drymounting, then usually drymount for 2-3 minutes on 220 degrees then use a cold metal weight too cold press the print. My prints are stored flat, in a cool (78degree) room.

In a few days, air bubbles start appearing on the prints and I have to get rid of them! They are not exposed to heat, sun, moisture, or anything of the sorts. Has anyone else had this problem with single weight AZO?

Thanks for your help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might test your press to see if the temperature is what it says it is. My guess is that it may be too high. Also try leaving the weight on longer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a Seal Jumbo 160M set at 200F. My 8x10 prints are mounted on 14x18 4-ply board and I press them for 2 minutes. I have yet to have any of the problems you are describing.

Alan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I go up to 190-200 degrees for a minute to two, no more, no problems yet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    220 degrees is too high for Color Mount

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ryan, color mount is not going to take than amount of heat and time. I'm using 190f and have the backing of the print up against the platten with a sheet of board under the print for an even press. Do some tests if this press is at PC's darkroom. I think you are squezing the print too long. Get a kitchen thermometer and test your setting. Also using old box of Kodak dry mount tissue (shellac?), the color mount doesn't seem to be as good as this stuff. No problems with azo or J&C warmtone at 320g weight. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not like color mount and it is quite temperature sensitive. 220 is definitely to hot for it. Definitely do not believe the thermometer on your press - $5 kitchen thermometers are much more reliable. Get hold of some buffer mount - it is the latest archival mounting tissue from Seal and is much more temperature tolerant. I use it at 170 and would leave an 11x14 in for about 3 minutes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've got most of a 100 sheet packet of MT5 left. I think I'll take out a rider on my homeowners' insurance policy for it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thank for everyones help. Im going to check the temp on the press I use, and lower the temp down as well. I will also shorten my pressing times.

It is just odd how the print looks beautiful when it is mounted, but then a few days later it starts to get air bubbles on it! Again, I do not store them in the sun, heat, or moist area. I keep my house about 78-80 degrees.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Next time around try baking the board in the press for ten or fifteen minutes beforehand. There may be moisture trapped in the board.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin