Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,299   Online: 1200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone know the UV sensitivity of AZO

I'm looking at possibly building a UV LED head for my Beseler 45. There are a number LEDs that output Peak Wavelength at 395nm and I'm trying to figure out if they will work.

Steve

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    I'm looking at possibly building a UV LED head for my Beseler 45. There are a number LEDs that output Peak Wavelength at 395nm and I'm trying to figure out if they will work.

Steve
    Printing AZO on a plate burner takes about a second or less.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823

Steve
    I have tried UV LEDs that had the UVA output you mentioned. They were of insufficient intensity to expose Azo in my tests. For your information, I mounted the LEDs immediately adjacent to each other.

The spectral sensitivity of Azo, as I recall, is 360-425 nm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I have tried UV LEDs that had the UVA output you mentioned. They were of insufficient intensity to expose Azo in my tests. For your information, I mounted the LEDs immediately adjacent to each other.

The spectral sensitivity of Azo, as I recall, is 360-425 nm.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colivet
    Printing AZO on a plate burner takes about a second or less.
    Yes, but then I either have to created digital negs or limit myself to 4x5 prints (I haven't built my 8x10 yet).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few months ago I looked at high power UV LEDs, they seemed to be more expensive and have less output/watt than the visable light LEDs. I don't know the relative sensitivites of AZO in UV and regular paper in blue, but from everything I've read, I'd be suprised if it was faster than regular paper, when each are exposed at their optimum wavelength.

On the AZO forum (www.michaelandpaula.com) there were a few recent threads of people using UV BLB bulbs to make an enlarger light source. That may be a far more cost effective solution for now. Might give you some ideas anyway.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Double check the data sheet at www.kodak.com. They usually have a spectral sensitivity chart.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The spectral sensitivity of Azo peaks at 350 nm (see Tech Pub G-10), which is a perfect match to the peak spectral output of BLB fluorescent bulbs, also 350 nm. This is why a spiral BLB bulb works well in an enlarger to enlarge onto Azo. All you need is the proper diffusion. Iím one of those people using BLB bulbs to make an enlarger light source. See the Azo Forum.
    Linas Kudzma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kudzma
    The spectral sensitivity of Azo peaks at 350 nm (see Tech Pub G-10), which is a perfect match to the peak spectral output of BLB fluorescent bulbs, also 350 nm. This is why a spiral BLB bulb works well in an enlarger to enlarge onto Azo. All you need is the proper diffusion. Iím one of those people using BLB bulbs to make an enlarger light source. See the Azo Forum.
    I'm building one too for my D2V. Will post pics and stuff when I'm done. The BLB bulbs work. I just have to put 4 of them together now.
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin