Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,811   Online: 876

What would you want from a printing frame?

In my search for the perfect printing frame I have decided to make my own. Here is my list of requirements:

1. Even pressure across the whole glass area.

2. Fast printing.

3. Completely non-slipping.

4. When the "free" half of the back is opened for inspection and put back, it should not crunch the paper.

5. Several of them together should be stackable without fear of scratching the glass.

So more to add to the list?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I especially appreciate #5.

A detent so that one can grab the glass when removing it for cleaning without risking finger prints on the printing area. (I know, one should use cotton gloves...)

Use a cement for the back-flocking that isn't so stubborn. I like to change them without making a huge project of it.

Keep them to wood construction. Modern composites are static magnets.

Now the hard part - Incorporating pins for contrast masks into a 'traditional' wooden frame. Okay, fugedaboudit.

Thanks for your thoughts, jjstafford.

I have been agonising over the idea of incorporating registration pins, not for masking but for multiple printing. Fixing them along one edge to match a pin-reg punch was obvious but the shrinkage of paper after repeat soaking and drying pulled everything out of registration, unless the pin is on the glass bang in the middle so as to make it less noticeable.

Keep the ideas coming!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oversized and some sort of provision for holding the glass to the frame (but also unlockable for removal and cleaning) so that the sandwich could be easily loaded right-side up...split back on counter face up, then with printing paper emulsion up, then negative emulsion down, covered finally with the glass and frame. I'd also put a spacer to hold the hinge back level while loading and covering with the glass and upper frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Oversized and some sort of provision for holding the glass to the frame (but also unlockable for removal and cleaning) so that the sandwich could be easily loaded right-side up...split back on counter face up, then with printing paper emulsion up, then negative emulsion down, covered finally with the glass and frame. I'd also put a spacer to hold the hinge back level while loading and covering with the glass and upper frame.
    I would love a frame like that. It would make multiple printings MUCH easier, right now I tape them together and that can be a pain.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Coated anti-reflective glass (better than textured anti-newton glass, in my experience).

I have a Kodak frame with registration pins and a punch. I'd be happy to send you a picture, if it would help, but I don't think there's any registration system that would work with repeat soakings. It would just be for USM and contrast masks.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin