Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,136   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    B-3
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Getting into contact printing

Can anyone recommend a good book, or article, or series of articles, to someone who is interested in getting into contact printing?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bruce

What type of paper are you thinking of using? Have you visited michaelandpaula.com? There is a wealth of information there about contact printing with AZO.

B-3
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No - I hadn't picked a particular paper. I'm guessing that's the primary (sole?) determinant of exposure time - given one particular light source? I was hoping to find a very basic tutorial as a starting off point.

Thanks for the link - Michael A. Smith - love his work - really brilliant stuff (though I've never seen an actual print - only magazine reproductions - and they're still awesome).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know of a good book on contact printing. I'd ditto the Michael A. Smith suggestion. He also has the Azo forum on his site with a lot of information, and here on APUG there is this contact printing forum.

Mostly, it's knowing what a good print looks like. If you know how to make a good enlarged print, you'll quickly figure out what a good contact print is supposed to look like. It's much the same process.
    juan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Thanks for the link - Michael A. Smith - love his work - really brilliant stuff (though I've never seen an actual print - only magazine reproductions - and they're still awesome).
    I saw reproductions on B&W magazine and I have also seen their scans on their website, but the day I saw their prints in person I could not believe it. They were off the scale, I mean way beyond what I could have imagined was a good print.
    It was a great feeling and a lesson at the same time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Even better than a book: take their workshop. Then after a while you'll be making prints as good as theirs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Even better than a book: take their workshop. Then after a while you'll be making prints as good as theirs.

Music to my ears! I`m attending the september 23-25 workshop

Amund

B-3
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Attending a workshop sounds like a great idea, but I was thinking that a book and learn-as-you-go experimentation would be somewhat easier to slip into the family budget.

Meanwhile, kid's on the way, so I say "Some day, Some day..."

Is there an emoticon for singing?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What kind of contact printing are you interested in? Azo or one of the many alternate processes out there? You never really said.
    Diane

Halak 41

B-3
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really just wanted to experiment, try different things, see what appealed... I'm building a darkroom and plan on doing enlargements, but was also interested in trying to make contact prints as a final, presentable product - so I was wondering if I needed to set things up in any particular way in order to at least have the option. Of course, this may all be a back-ended way for me to try LF cameras, so perhaps I have put the cart before the horse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin