Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,861   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lee, how many people did it take to put it in your truck? It's good to know that it survived the trip on it's back.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    hi Brian,

Just me and the guy that was selling it. We were able to move it from the showroom out the door down some steps and in to the back of the truck. maybe about 60 feet all told we had to carry it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian

It is a very simple procedure to separate the base from the light unit - a couple of screws. Each piece weighs around 50 pounds, so they are both easily manageable by one person. It helps to have a second person around when you re-assemble it (placing the light unit back onto the frame stanchions).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Donsta, excellent to know, the seller told me the whole unit weighs around 150 lbs. I don't feel as nervous about lifting it with just myself and another person now. I'll be sure to bring some tools for the job. I'm so excited i can barely wait until tomorrow to pick it up.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    take all the glass off and the vacuum pad will come off too and the vacuum hose can be disconnected from the tube from the pump to the pad pretty simply. Leave the bulb in place and dont touch it with your bare hands. Its life will be shortened dramatically.

good luck

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    take all the glass off and the vacuum pad will come off too and the vacuum hose can be disconnected from the tube from the pump to the pad pretty simply. Leave the bulb in place and dont touch it with your bare hands. Its life will be shortened dramatically.

good luck

lee\c
    Well, if I had a truck I would just leave the unit intact except for removing the glass. If you set it upright in the back of the truck and tie it down so it won't topple over it should travel well. I can not see any good reason to disassemble the top from the bottom, assuming you have a friend to help you move it.

BTW, I don't think the unit weighs anywhere near 150 lbs. I just picked my unit up and moved it about ten feet by myself last weekend and there is no way I could have done with 150 lbs. I am guessing it really weighs more like 65-75 lbs, not counting the stand of course.

However you decide to move it, good luck.

Sandy

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy is right about the weight it is more bulky than heavy. We decided to lay it on its back because I had to drive about 75 miles and I did not want to take a chance with being on the freeways and all. The one I had to move was on a stand. neater package laying on its back

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 08-14-2005 at 10:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the total weight of my unit, including stand and packaging materials (maybe 10lbs) was about 127 pounds... So about 75 for just the unit sounds about right. BTW, I would consider removing the lamp bulb - it can easily get shaken out. Use cotton gloves or be sure to clean it with alcohol before re-installing if you have touched it with you fingers. To go 75 miles, I'd remove the glass for the vacuum frame and the glass from below the lamp as well as the bulb. Provided you tie it down, it should be just fine like that...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donsta
    I think the total weight of my unit, including stand and packaging materials (maybe 10lbs) was about 127 pounds... So about 75 for just the unit sounds about right. BTW, I would consider removing the lamp bulb - it can easily get shaken out. Use cotton gloves or be sure to clean it with alcohol before re-installing if you have touched it with you fingers. To go 75 miles, I'd remove the glass for the vacuum frame and the glass from below the lamp as well as the bulb. Provided you tie it down, it should be just fine like that...

I think it would indeed be a good idea to remove the lamp, taking the precautions mentioned above. When I bought my unit the lamp was DOA, apparently a victim of travel.

BTW, if the seller does not provide extra fuses and an extra lamp it would be a good idea to buy spares so you won't have a printing session interrupted by a blown fuse or lamp. And it happens! There are two fuses, and they go into slots on the left top side of the unit. You can order these directly form NuArc.

As for the bulb, I recommend the USHIO metal halide lampt for the NuArc 26-1K. It is less expensive than the replacement bulb NuArc sells for the unit, but has about the same spectral power distribution curve and actually reaches full output faster than the mercury vapor lamp sold by NuArc. USHIO makes two of these lamps, the one you want for Pt./Pd. printing is the MHL-1000/1. NuArc may not recommend the USHIO lamp, at least they did not when I spoke to them about it a couple of years ago, but lots of people use it and by all accounts it works as well or better than the mercury vapor lamp.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I think it would indeed be a good idea to remove the lamp, taking the precautions mentioned above. When I bought my unit the lamp was DOA, apparently a victim of travel.

BTW, if the seller does not provide extra fuses and an extra lamp it would be a good idea to buy spares so you won't have a printing session interrupted by a blown fuse or lamp. And it happens! There are two fuses, and they go into slots on the left top side of the unit. You can order these directly form NuArc.

As for the bulb, I recommend the USHIO metal halide lampt for the NuArc 26-1K. It is less expensive than the replacement bulb NuArc sells for the unit, but has about the same spectral power distribution curve and actually reaches full output faster than the mercury vapor lamp sold by NuArc. USHIO makes two of these lamps, the one you want for Pt./Pd. printing is the MHL-1000/1. NuArc may not recommend the USHIO lamp, at least they did not when I spoke to them about it a couple of years ago, but lots of people use it and by all accounts it works as well or better than the mercury vapor lamp.

Sandy
    Sandy, I'm glad you and Don mentioned taking the lamp out. I originally was planning to leave it in but upon hearing about the problems that might occur it seems wise to remove it.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the type of lamp to purchase, do you have any specialty retailers in mind that supply the MHL-1000/1 or is this a lamp that can be found easily at a place like Home Depot? As far as fuses go, do these need to be special ordered from Nuarc? Do you think Nuarc doesn't recommend the MHL-1000 because it might blow the fuses more often?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin