Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1105

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean

Well, Here I am at the beach this weekend before sunset. I find a great spot and get setup to capture the sun just as it decends and hits the water with rays of light. Sure enough a guy in a boat comes into the scene and anchors. I couldn't recompose for various reasons and he was only just on the left edge. I dev'd the sheet and find the shot will be great cropping 3/4inch from the left side to remove the fisherman. I don't feel like it's a big deal but in the world of contact printing will I be arrested!? :o
    YES - you will be arrested and you will spend your jail time reformatting digital camera images for........oh I give up !!

I use (as already suggested) the overmat to perform the cropping action. It works quite well, as is evidenced by the lack of an Orange Lodge Hall in the left side of the latest photo in my gallery !

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I don't feel like it's a big deal but in the world of contact printing will I be arrested!? :o
    If its a sin, then I'm going to Hell. Might as well join me Sean.

My image of Hell is constantly having to do product evaluations on D****l cameras and being constantly berated on photo.net for not removing distractors with Photoshop.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Crop away! I really don't think there are any sins in photography-whatever works, works. Why does the floor feel like it's getting warm?????

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I can't get what I want on the GG or if I find a better photograph while printing I do not hesitate to crop. I thoroughly enjoy all the different formats I can get from an 8x10 negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

crop?

Sean-Yes and..you could even mount it upside down if it works....heck this is photography....have fun with it and let the imagination run wild!
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Crop, I say! Crop an image to make the final presentation match your visualization of the scene. If the boat wasn't in your mind when you were composing, then lose the boat.

Overmatting to allow future generations to find the boat is an interesting idea...I wonder how many of us think of future owners of our prints when we're finishing them. I always try to keep that in the back of my mind...what do I want someone to find if they decide to re-frame an image in the future? I've been known to pencil in small notes on the backing board that are totally hidden by the overmat - things about the image that I think someone might enjoy knowing someday. An act of hubris, yes, but it adds a little joy to the finishing process for me.

That's my two cents, and probably not worth half that much...

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think this is very personal. In my case I never crop. If I had to I would throw the print and negative in the trash and reshoot it.
    I don't think it is a sin, just a pity that you have to cover something up to save the print.

Just my feelings and don't mean to offend anyone, it ultimately is a personal decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a Sin, but you will be ridiculed, have your manhood questioned and be unable to show your face at any LF/ULF gathering in the world. Nor will your offspring, yea, even unto the seventh generation...

Well, possibly not quite that bad...

If it works better, crop the thing. If you want, do as others suggested and hide it under the window matt. OTOH, why is having the boat in the frame such a crime? Might be said to add interest rather than detract - but that's a call only you can make.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CROP!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,

If you think the print needs to be cropped then crop it. All that matters is the beauty of the final print, not the size. I recommend reading Mark Citret's essay "Where to stand and where to put the edges."(www.mcitret.com) He offers some invaluable insight into the issue of cropping. If you believe, as I do, where to stand(the source of visual relationships you create) comes before where to put the edges then often times you have no choice but to crop or abandon the image for some silly rule.

As for using the window mat to crop it, I wouldn't. Firstly, I like to leave space between my image and the window mat. Secondly, someone could remove the mat and 'uncrop' it to their liking. Last and worst, someone could come upon it without the mat and, not having seen it with the mat, never realize your true vision. Hope this helped and I suggest reading all of Citret's essays. They are worth the time. All the best. Shawn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin