Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,069   Online: 788

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Is it a sin to crop a contact print?..

Well, Here I am at the beach this weekend before sunset. I find a great spot and get setup to capture the sun just as it decends and hits the water with rays of light. Sure enough a guy in a boat comes into the scene and anchors. I couldn't recompose for various reasons and he was only just on the left edge. I dev'd the sheet and find the shot will be great cropping 3/4inch from the left side to remove the fisherman. I don't feel like it's a big deal but in the world of contact printing will I be arrested!? :o

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mount it in a window mat and no one will be the wiser.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sean, With the various and sundry assortment of cameras I use of great age I happily crop out light leaks and other troubles I haven't had time to attend to yet. 7X17 is especially troublesome as I had to modify 3 of Sandy's holders to fit the F&S and haven't yet got all the gremlins swept out. Darned if I'll discount and otherwise keeper shot becouse of some small corner imperfection. The most important thing I've learned in this hobby is to NOT be a perfectionist.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sean,
    Was there something on the right side outside the picture area that you didn't want? I ask this because perhaps you could have shifted the front (or rear) standard (I don't know whether Deardorffs do this).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crop!
    It is a sin to waste an otherwise good image. you could do it in window mat which would be rather cool, knowing what is underneath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have a problem with cropping for a more pleasing shot, with no distractions, you are the photographer, and your image vision is what matters! I look forward to seeing the shot Sean.

Dave

Images
    Crop it! If some one wants to council other wise we can take up a collection for a bulk order of drinkable fiber in order to loosen the rod and clear their brains. JMO though.

I never understood the no crop idea anyway. Hell when we take the shot we are cropping a heck of a lot out anyway.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Crop!
    It is a sin to waste an otherwise good image. you could do it in window mat which would be rather cool, knowing what is underneath.

I also think thats a great idea to use a window mat. The idea of someone, decades down the road, reframing the print and finding a hidden figure under the mat seems kind of neat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's your photograph. If you want to keep what you regard as a flaw just to honor the imperative of some other photographer you've abandoned your role as an artist. Make the photograph work to suit your vision, not someone else's.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    Sean,
    Was there something on the right side outside the picture area that you didn't want? I ask this because perhaps you could have shifted the front (or rear) standard (I don't know whether Deardorffs do this).
    One of the main subjects of the shot was a pohutakawa tree on the beach, so movement would have reduced the tree more than I liked. Good idea about the window mat, it should look fine. If anyone complains I'll tell them the micro-crop was authorised by APUG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin