Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,829   Online: 699

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adox for contact printing

I've had very good results printing some older 8X10 negs on Adox, an enlarging paper available from JandC Photography. It's VC, double weight and very reasonably priced. But most importantly, it's described as the only paper coated on a "vertical" coating machine, which results in a very silver rich paper. It gives excellent results when contacting under an enlarger. I feel my Adox prints compare favorably with Azo prints I've made from the same negatives.
    Just wondering if anyone else has tried this paper for contacting, and what their experience with it has been.
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I narrowed this down too much. Has anyone printed on Adox, period, and what kind of results have you had?
    I find that it responds to VC filter 4 and up much better than any other paper I've tried, including Kentmere Finprint VC. I have one neg I can only print on Adox; it simply doesn't work on anything else.
    I haven't seen much discussion of this paper anywhere. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tried it. Dean
    dphphoto

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The question is: what was this paper called before it became "Adox"? If it's what used to be Varycon, I've used it. It is a little different from other papers, especially in the shadows. However it responds well to different developers - even the RC version can be lith developed.

I used to hate it when it was the cheapest paper around, but now I see the possibilities in it. So I sometimes use it because it's "different".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

It so much resembles and behaves like old Dupont Varilour that I suspect it may be much the same formula coated on the same machine. The paper surface even looks similar. It's a nice paper for some subjects.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the Adox Classic Arts FB paper from J&C (J&C Expo Graded). Bought it for contact Lith printing, but so far disappointed in amount of pepper in all areas including lighter areas. Have used it for regular contact printing with good results.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    I have the Adox Classic Arts FB paper from J&C (J&C Expo Graded). Bought it for contact Lith printing, but so far disappointed in amount of pepper in all areas including lighter areas. Have used it for regular contact printing with good results.

Ah - it is Varycon!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to know what older paper this resembles. I used to hear about DuPont Varilour back in the day, but never had the opportunity to try it.
    I do a lot of dark, gloomy types of pictures; I've been caught in the rain with my 4X5 so many times now it's a wonder it hasn't rusted shut. Adox accommodates these images very well. Dean
    dphphoto

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin