Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,527   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contact printing frame question

Hi, I've recently taken the plunge into LF ( 5 x 7 ) and I'm looking for a way to use 8 x 10 paper and get a white border around the print in an 8 x 10 frame.

Dan Pelland had some suggestions.

coat my own paper

have a 5 x 7 frame made

get the 8 x 10 frame because I'll be moving to 8 x 10 format sooner than I think.

Good suggestions but at the moment probably won't work for me.

Thanks for any help

Kevin

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you want to have a white border on 8x10 paper then you would need the ability to contact print 8X10...if you want to use a printing frame then that would indicate an 8X10 printing frame.

If I were trying what you want then I would make a mask out of black poster board or a fully exposed sheet of 8X10 film with a window for your 5X7 negative. The procedure would be to put the mask onto the glass of the frame and your negative into the window of the poster board or 8X10 film. Next lay the 8X10 paper emulsion side down followed by the tension back. Turn over the printing frame and expose...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Kevin, get a 12 x 16 frame. You will save money when you start contact printing larger negs. No, really you will want too. Not convinced, thats OK, get a 12 x 16 frame and you can then print two 5 x 7 negs saving you time

When I mask I do as Donald indicates using thin red card. The stuff I use is pretty much the same thickness as my negs and gives a sharp edge and is cheap.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John I'm not familiar with thin red card, where can I get that ?

Thanks Kevin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KEK
    John I'm not familiar with thin red card, where can I get that ?

Thanks Kevin
    It's nothing special, check out whats available a your local art/stationery suppliers. I pay £1 (less than $1 US) or so for a size A1 sheet.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use rubylith to cut masks for white borders when I contact print. You can get a couple sheets cheap here: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_redm1.htm

John is right about the 12x16 frame too. Bostick & Sullivan have a nice one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi: you can cut a mask out of exposed and developed lith film, or even from an exposed and developed piece of b&w neg film. But rubylith is probably the cheapest way to go. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm digging up a very old topic here, but would the black plastic bags that photo paper is stored in work to cut a mask from? I would think it's opaque? I guess I can try and see, but was wondering if anybody had used other materials other than 8x10 fully exposed film, or rubylith film.

I have recently started using a 5x7 Century, and some negs I wish to crop. So far I've been printing lith, so sharpness is not really a factor with the results I'm after. But if I wanted to make regular prints, or platinum some day, I'd need that pressure from the contact printing frame to assure proper sharpness.
    Now I just crop the negative in the enlarging easel and don't even use a contact printing frame. So far so good.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use black cardstock...works great when contact printing my 4x5 negs on 8x10.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The black plastic is opaque, but it's not easy to cut straight.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin