Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,625   Online: 975

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Kentmere Bromide users?

I'm ready to begin my first ULF contact prints and was weighing my options concerning paper. My format size is not very AZO freindly and I was considering Kentmeres bromide paper. Does anyone have any experience with this product for contact printing?
    Thanks,
    mike allen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope, no experience, but I'm interested, too.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's my favorite cool tone paper for enlarging, but hadn't thought of it for contact printing. Would also be interested in others' results. The paper seems about 1 stop faster than comparable chloro-bromide papers, which might affect its use as an AZO substitute.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A
    Does anyone have any experience with this product for contact printing?
    Mike,

In preparing to print for an upcoming exhibition, I recently tested Gallerie, Orential, and Kentmere Bromide graded papers. To make a long story short, the Kentmere was the hands down winner. It resonds exteremely well to split development, has decent internal contrast in the shadows, and tones very well in selenium. As Doug mentioned, it is a bit faster than other papers and I've found it to be just a bit more contrasty when compared to other papers of the same grade. While most of my use has been for enlarging, I have done some contact printing with it and it works very well. It is not exactly the same as the old Orential Seagull, if you remember that paper, but it exhibits many of the characteristics that made old Seagull the paper of choice for many photograhers.

Hope this helps.

Allen

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    What format are you shooting that is preventing you from printing on AZO? Larger then 20x24? You can purchase AZO in 20x24, and cut it down to the size that you need. The smaller pieces left over can be used for smaller negatives (8x10, 5x7 ect) or can be used as test strips for the larger prints!

I take it that because you are shooting ultra larger format, you want the finest print quality possible. So why are you stopping when you get to making the fine print? I take it that you have used AZO before, so you know the print quality difference when compairing a AZO print to a print on enlarger paper.

If you are wanting to make the finest prints you can get from your negatives, you should be using the right materials to print on. In this case, that would be AZO.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have not used this paper but it sounds really intriquing and the price seems quite reasonable.

According to the PDF info, it appears that the material has a capability of printing a dmax of 2.20 which is certainly no slouch ...in fact my test of Azo indicated a dmax of 2.07...so I would hazard a guess that this paper should rival and possibly exceed Azo's blacks (based upon the mfg representations).

I was not able to find any curves on the paper. I would really like to find that information. If anyone uses this paper and has plotted the curves, please share them with us, if you don't mind.

The comment that someone made that this was contrastier then equivalent grades in other papers makes me think that this would probably have greater internal (local) contrast then Azo. Probably not as long scale as Azo but if one has a negative that matches the paper, who cares.

Something more to evaluate this winter. Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't used the paper either (yet) but I have seen some of Doug's prints made on it. They remind me most of the prints I made on Zone VI Brilliant - the second edition made when Fred still owned the company. That was a bromide paper, too. The Kentmere seems to have the same contrast and print color - that's to my eye, no measurements.

Doug and I are giving a mini-seminar on contact printing next week, so maybe I can talk him out of a little of his paper. I may even mix up some of my dwindling supply of Amidol.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    ...They remind me most of the prints I made on Zone VI Brilliant - the second edition made when Fred still owned the company.
    juan
    This is very interesting. I need to start searching for a replacement for my Zone VI Brilliant 11x14 when my freezer stock runs out.

Alan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    I haven't used the paper either (yet) but I have seen some of Doug's prints made on it. They remind me most of the prints I made on Zone VI Brilliant - the second edition made when Fred still owned the company. That was a bromide paper, too. The Kentmere seems to have the same contrast and print color - that's to my eye, no measurements.

Doug and I are giving a mini-seminar on contact printing next week, so maybe I can talk him out of a little of his paper. I may even mix up some of my dwindling supply of Amidol.
    juan

John, While this is off topic and I apologize for that, did you see my post about the sales of Amidol on Ebay? While it is pricey, it may be enough to get you out of a bind (24 gm). Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kentmere is marvelous for enlarging, the best VC fibre base paper I know of. But...I still shoot 8X10 and have never been able to afford an 8X10 enlarger. So guess what? I still contact print.
    Try Adox, available from JandC Photography. According to their site, it's the only paper produced on a vertical coating machine, which is supposed to get more silver into the paper. I don't know how true that it, but I do know from using it that the paper has a marvelous tonal range, which I think is comparable to Azo. And it's VC and double weight, so much easier to use than Azo, or at least I think so. I get deep blacks and nice, pearly highlights in Ethol LPD mixed 1:2.
    I started a thread on this topic a while ago. Someone there compared Adox to the old DuPont Verilux, a paper I'd heard of when I started photography lo those many years ago but never got a chance to try. Dean
    dphphoto

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin