Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,019   Online: 793

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal
    Doug Kennedy... The clamping system is very strong and elegant.
    What is the difference in the Kennedy spring system from the traditional springs? Is there a photo somewhere?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had an 8x10 PF frame and got rid of it mainly to get an 11x14 frame from another maker. Before I sold it, I replaced 2 of the clips.
    The clips, even when they were intact, were a pain, sometimes literally because they snapped shut so quickly. With the PF frame, closing all 6 clips was an inconvenience, especially when working in the dark. With my new frame, I have the 2 springs closed and ready to print in just a couple seconds. I suspected they didn't provide enough pressure in the center of the frame either, but I was never certain of that.
    I had no problem with the frame itself, just the clamping mechanism. It seems like if you offered a choice of a better spring for just a little more money, you'd have a better product.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kennedy clamps

Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    What is the difference in the Kennedy spring system from the traditional springs? Is there a photo somewhere?
    I am used to seeing 2 or 3 clamps that run across the short dimension of the frame, secured by a central screw, around which the clamp pivots. And, this clamp usually slides into a slot cut into the wood. This slot generally gets bigger and looser over time, reducing tension on the back. The clamps on Doug Kennedy's 11x14 frame are 6 in total. 3 for each side. And, each of the clamps slides under a metal (brass I think) washer-type fitting held in place with a screw. So, you've got a total of 6 clamps working for you and held in place with parts less prone to wearing out. I made my first contacts with this over the weekend. Very easy to use.
    Neal Wilson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Bill, I don't know where you can see a photo online, but I can take a picture of mine and email it to you.

I'm actually having Kennedy refit my 8x10 PF frame with his style of springs as I have finally gotten tired of putting the clips back into the frame when they fall out.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeremy,
    Do the photo and put it on line so we all can see it! Sounds like a dandy frame to me.

Charlie...........................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Bill, I don't know where you can see a photo online, but I can take a picture of mine and email it to you.
    That would be great Jeremy! Thank you. I will PM you with an address. Or you can post it here and I will check back.

Thanks again!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best contact printing frames I have seen were from Great Basin. Beautifully made and they work well. Have moved to a vacuum frame now but if I were doing it manually I would look for one made by Great Basin Photographic.
    On that note I have a friend working on a split back vacuum frame. We'll see if it pans out and if so I will definately try it for Ziatype work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    The best contact printing frames I have seen were from Great Basin. Beautifully made and they work well. Have moved to a vacuum frame now but if I were doing it manually I would look for one made by Great Basin Photographic.
    On that note I have a friend working on a split back vacuum frame. We'll see if it pans out and if so I will definately try it for Ziatype work.
    I have owned two of the Great Bassin contact printing frames and also found them beautifully made. I still have one, 14X24" and it works well, though I now use vacuum frames for nearly all of my work.

Be careful if you obtain one of the Great Bassin frames because the builder did not provide them with sanded edges, at least the two I owned did not have sanded edges, and I severly cut myself on the glass one day when cleaning it and had to have about nine stitches. I called the builder up to complain abou this but he just gave me some dog and pony show about how sanding the edges caused scratches on the glass.

Sandy

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great Basis Frames were made here in Nevada, due to some lung problems with wood dust they are no longer made...they now have an online business of radio controlled boat products etc....

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Dark side of the moon

Don t want to be pre mature (all here have been down that road) but a new line of print frames will be out this spring from "ZonesGray"...will be announced on this planet first here on APUG'S Sponsor's forum, also to be announced, some panorama equipment we have been testing for over 6 months, here in the desert and in NYC, and on the dark side of the moon.

Dave in Vegas

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin