Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,949   Online: 924

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

contact printing frames

Hello. I'm looking for a contact printing frame (16x20), and I have noticed that those sold at the Photographer's Formulary are half the price of those on offer at Bostick & Sullivan. Has anyone got any experience of the former, do they do their job properly? Are there any other that you could recommend?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The PF frames suck, I have one for 8x10, and will buy a Pelland as soon as I can. The clips for the back wear out fast, only hold at the edges and can REALLY hurt if one snaps over your fingers...
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard bad things about the PF frames, but have a B&S frame and love it. The Pelland have a great reputation too. I don't know how the prices compare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi I really can recommend the Pelland one, they are like a Swiss watch or Swiss army knife just like a RR!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, I suspected that much, but I needed to know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    From what I can tell those Pelland frames are sweet. Being who I am and having more time than money, I am forced to make my own. If I had a choice...I'd go with the Palland every time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by micek
    Hello. I'm looking for a contact printing frame (16x20), and I have noticed that those sold at the Photographer's Formulary are half the price of those on offer at Bostick & Sullivan. Has anyone got any experience of the former, do they do their job properly? Are there any other that you could recommend?
    Thanks.
    You do not say what format you intend to contact, but I can relate my own experience - have an 8x10 from PF and there are some problems with it, but over all I would still rate it as good for the price. Have had to do some minor work on the side locks (spring) when one came out, but that is all. Also have a Pelland 11x14 and it is indeed a nice contact frame. Well made and looks good too! But must admit to having some problems with un-even pressure (I think this is common with all contact frames BTW) and have taken to using rubber gasket and some 2 ply mat board behind everything to keep everything flat and even. If you are printing 8x10 or larger I will offer the same advice I have been given and that is to look into a vacuum print frame (this may not be correct terminology). Hope this helps....Good Luck
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've handled one of those PhotoFormulary frames and wouldn't recommend it--particularly not for any size larger than 8x10". The spring locks around the edges don't provide enough pressure in the center.

You might also avoid Premier frames, which are kind of lightly built.

There are some older frames that are quite good, if you can't afford a new one. I have an old Kodak/Century 8x10" frame that is excellent. My best frame is probably a Kodak frame that looks to be of 1960s vintage, with register pins (I do have the punch), that I think was made for dye transfer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with David that I wouldn't purchase a formulary frame above 8x10. I have the 8x10 contact frame from them and it works very well, but once you hit 11x14 I think you would start having problems with sharpness.

On the other side of the coin is the 16x20 contact frame I purchased from Doug Kennedy which is FANTASTIC! I have no problems at all with this frame and would highly recommend anyone looking for a frame to contact Doug.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had a PF frame and it was one of the worst peieces of photographic equipment I've ever had. Poorly designed and terribly executed. My frame from Doug Kennedy is a joy to use. My PF frame hit the garbage, so half price wasn't much of a bargain. Cheers, Richard

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin