Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,925   Posts: 1,585,027   Online: 1001

Images

Gold toning POP Exposure question

I tone POP with KRST and have it pretty down. I expose the hell out of the paper, fix, and tone.

I know I gold tone the paper before fixing but will I still need to expose the hell out of the paper? The stuff is not cheap so i would like a heads up on the learning curve.

I fix in pure sodium Thiosulphate and that bleaches. Will the bleaching still happen After the toning?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Gold toning will help prevent most, but not all, bleaching in the fixer so you should be able to get away with much less exposure than when toning with KRST. If your negative has about the correct exposure range for POP, expose until the shadows just start to "bronze" and that should be close to the correct exposure when gold-toning.

Whether Hell is bronzed or not, dunno.

The amount of bleaching will also depend on things like toner formula and exhaustion, fixer concentration, duration the solutions contact the emulsion, etc.

Joe

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In my (limited) experience the end result seems to be the same whether toning before or after fixing. Full toning takes a very long time though, and it seems easier to get an even tone by toning before fixing. Or maybe it's just my toner getting old.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin