Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,605   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    According to Michael, Kodak was still willing to sell to anyone who made a minimum order, and up until the end, that was only Michael and Paula for grade 3, though B&H and a few other places stocked grade 2. Michael's claim is that a few large purchasers made the minimum order for grade 3, so there was less available than they had predicted, and the question is--who were those large purchasers?

Even if M&P had an effective monopoly, I don't think they were profiteering off paper sales. I hope they made a little money for their troubles, but if they did, it was probably more from workshops than paper.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wbryant
    .... Who did buy all of the AZO??? someone must know.
    Its not so much who bought the Azo as to what the @%$# they're doing with it. Whoever bought the stuff sure is keeping quiet so far (that is, if it's even for sale !). I am currently looking for 20x24 Azo 3 and I sure as heck know of no one selling it at this time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is is possible that people doing work for the U.S. national archives/ national historical register bought the rest of it? I seem to remember someone telling me that their requirements for some photo-documentation work was 5x7 contact prints on Azo.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks David, that's made things clearer for me. If M&P were making any profit or not with Azo, it's none of my concern - or anyone elses.

If this the last of Azo, with Kodak tearing down the production line, I expect there have been some speculative purchases. If so, it will go on sale as supplies dry up. Personally, I can't see anything wrong with this, people will either pay up for paper or not - no one is forcing them to buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made myself curious. Here is an example of the photo requirements from the state of Indiana:
    http://www.state.in.us/dnr/historic/nrfaqs.html

Interesting that they do not accept any C41 process prints or any digital prints because of archival issues. My guess is that they will be forced to relax this requirements very soon if no more black and white paper is available.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I know a few photographer who purchased what they feel is a lifetime supply of AZO right before it ran out.

I did a seach for G3 AZO on Google, and found several dealers that were selling G3, but had never sold it before. Some of the places were not even photography related sites!!!

Personally, if the stuff shows up on Ebay...I am not going to spend insane amounts on the paper and support the people who are thinking they will make a profit on ripping off other photographers. I'm hoping it will not be long till M+P come up with a new AZO, then we can all start using that

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX

Personally, if the stuff shows up on Ebay...I am not going to spend insane amounts on the paper and support the people who are thinking they will make a profit on ripping off other photographers.
    Ryan McIntosh
    But Ryan, how could they be 'ripping' anyone off? People will either pay the market rate, or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate to say it, but I can't see how anyone is ripping anyone off here, there is a limited supply and somebody bought it up, that is the way business works, those who have the money purchase the items, when it comes to limited supply items, some buy on speculation and some buy for usuage, the market will determine what the item is worth, when it comes down to business people, they have no obligation whats so ever to provide a service to the photographic community or any other community for that matter.

When it comes down to it, those who are looking for AZO will determine what the market will do, either people will buy it, or it will sit on a shelf somewhere, what happened between M&P and Kodak, is forever going to be speculation, M&P will have there side of the story and Kodak will have their side of the story...

Hopefully M&P will be able to come up with something that will work, I hope they do, it will show the independance of the community and perhaps break the strangle hold some of these big companies have had over the community for many years.

But as far as somebody ripping people off, I think this is a pretty broad statement, and don't see it that way.

I am sorry, those who are upset have to understand, this is how a free market works.

Dave

Images
    Who is ripping the photographic community off, and how are they doing it?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX
    I know a few photographer who purchased what they feel is a lifetime supply of AZO right before it ran out.

I did a seach for G3 AZO on Google, and found several dealers that were selling G3, but had never sold it before. Some of the places were not even photography related sites!!!

Personally, if the stuff shows up on Ebay...I am not going to spend insane amounts on the paper and support the people who are thinking they will make a profit on ripping off other photographers. I'm hoping it will not be long till M+P come up with a new AZO, then we can all start using that

Ryan McIntosh
    WHat are you talking about? This is just the market place at work. For years MAS offered grade 3 paper in 100 sheets boxes. Since he was the only one able to do this he charged more for a box of grade 3 than a box of grade 2. Would you call this "ripping off" the photographic community?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin