Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,796   Online: 1012

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I found a few 100 sheet boxes of 4.5" x 5.5" double weight deckled edge E surface Azo, expired in 1965, a few years back. After testing and finding it was fine, I sold a box for what even I thought was a rather obscene amount of money.
    The person I bought it from was happy to get a few bucks for "old junk" and my buyer was tickled to be able to print some really classy portraits for high end clients. No one got ripped off, despite some hefty profits realized by myself and my buyer.

Who ever bought up the Azo is taking a risk. All photo paper, even Azo, is perishable.
    The only way anyone will make "obscene" profits is if enough photographers really belive it is the only paper that can be printed on. Its up to us.

Looking at the price hike in Illford MGIV, I wonder if MAS does bring a new chloride paper to market, if it will be more expensive than the horded Azo that will hit the market.
    As a stock item, Azo could be had for about $.67 a sheet for 8x10. I am guessing as a finate stock, it may go to 2-3 dollars a sheet for those willing to pay it. MGIV rc is a about a buck a sheet right now, I bet a new chloride paper will be in the 2-3 dollar/sheet range, or more.
    Bottem line is if you are dependant on something you have little or no control over the supply or the means of production, you are stuck with what you can get, at the price you can get it at.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    Its not so much who bought the Azo as to what the @%$# they're doing with it. Whoever bought the stuff sure is keeping quiet so far (that is, if it's even for sale !). I am currently looking for 20x24 Azo 3 and I sure as heck know of no one selling it at this time.
    I actually saw a box of grade 3 20x24 on ebay yesterday. look at 8x10 and bigger cameras.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by toddstew
    I actually saw a box of grade 3 20x24 on ebay yesterday. look at 8x10 and bigger cameras.
    Are you sure about that? I don't see anything at this time. Might have been a "buy now" or what you may have seen is the Azo 2 (not 3) that sold for $491 a couple days ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had a large supply of AZO that I had bought to make a profit I would not offer it for sale now. You would want to wait untill most everyone had depleted their current supply. You want to have the largest possible pool of bidders to drive up the price of a product.

I would suspect if there really is someone who bought a large stock of say 20x24 G3, it would be spring when it would start to show up on the market via Ebay or retail.

Anyone know what the minimum purchase of AZO was from Kodak?
    I ask because if it had been publically known that such a transaction was possible, a group probably could have been organized to make a minimum purchase.

I stated in a thread last year with the announcement of the end of AZO production that as long as Kodak actually held the master rolls, one could never be sure of the final disposition of the product.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Look at the bright side. If indeed the paper is being kept, waiting for the day when it can be sold for absurd prices, then the introduction of the replacement paper at normal prices will make their investment worthless.

However, my speculation is that the bulk of the paper was bought by people or institutions that had a use for it and not for future sales.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn

Anyone know what the minimum purchase of AZO was from Kodak?
    When I sak my local store if they could order a a box, they said their minimum order was 27 boxes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like others have already said, its an issue of supply and demand not a case of anyone getting ripped off. Its not like we are talking about a life-saving vaccine here. People have always paid premium prices for rare items of which there is a finite supply. (Rare coins, automobiles, limited edition artwork etc...) None of these things are essential to life as we know it and no one is forced to get ripped off. However as the supply of these things decreases and it becomes apparent that there isn't enough to go around, the price will be set accordingly. AZO is not any different and I'm afraid there is no subverting the mechanics of a free trade system and human will.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Perhaps on the bright side, it may be time to raise the print prices on existing Azo prints and prints made from remaining stock. Supply and demand works through out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook
    Perhaps on the bright side, it may be time to raise the print prices on existing Azo prints and prints made from remaining stock. Supply and demand works through out.
    But that would not be fair to the photo buying community.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    can you imagine if the last AZO were in the hands of some muddleheaded and non talented photographer? Good paper wasted on garbage photography! Let us hope this is not the case.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin