Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,814   Online: 1158

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Like other Azo users, I've been looking for a replacement until another silver chloride paper comes along. So far, Kentmere Bromide in Amidol has yielded the best results I've found. This paper has a nice warm color, very good blacks in Amidol, decent tonal range and comes in a grade 4. It's no Azo, but it's the best thing I've found so far.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had great success printing on Adox, available from JandC Photograpahy. Their ads claim that it's especially silver rich, because of the coating.
    It's double weight VC, but prints with very good blacks and a long scale. I've made prints on it comparable to ones I did in the '80's with Azo. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Boy, that "silver-rich" myth is a persistent one!

Jay
    Don't know about "myth," but the paper's really nice. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    ULarge Format

first contact prints

Well I've been printing with this paper for three sessions now and man! What I've been missing with contact printing.

My first two sessions I proofed a considerably large stack of my neglected 11x14 negatives. The third session I couldn't wait, I needed to start making final prints.

I used Michael Smiths Amidol mixture and procedures, I found this whole new process much easier than enlarging. The Kentmere does appear similar to Seagull but a little more cold, and not as soft. The blacks were deep and the whites were some what creamy, and the mid tones were really very nice. A number of the prints I even managed to get the three dimensional effect described by some. Keep in mind, all I have to compare to are my former 4x5 enlargements, so take it for what its worth, I may have fallen under the rookie contact printer spell.

I hope Michael and Paula find an Azo replacement, after my first couple printing sessions the Kentmere is nice but It leaves me wanting to try Azo even more.

I will soon be annoucing the Azo replacement paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Now that's the most exciting thing I've heard in a while. Can you tell us if soon is days or weeks?

Dean

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    WOW!!! It's a good news... I hope to try it early...

Best

Stefano
    Italy
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Some one announcing the addition of a new traditional darkroom paper, this contrasts sharply with the "doomsday trend" thats been the norm here as of late. Thanks for the update Michael.

Mike A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact print on Ilford MG FB

Pretend it costs 10 dollars a sheet

Lay a piece of white perspex / plexiglass over the glass

Develop it in 130

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I finally tried the J&C "Neutral" grade fiber which was suggested as a substitute for contact printing. Without a densitometer, I do it by printing known films and comparing the prints to existing papers I use. Talk about contrast! Looks like I need to back down on development a bit to use this stuff properly. It does have quite a range of values, but negatives need to come out of the developer a bit sooner than the grade 2 azo films I normally shoot for. Best guess is about a stop of development to tame this beast. Need to do a little more playing, but it certainly shows potential. tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin