Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,305   Online: 811

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Contact paper, currently available choices?

With the demise of azo and subsequent rumors about a substitute, does anyone have any options for a good paper now being produced? I know contact printing can be done on any paper, but there must be some better suited to the task than others. Some favorable qualitites I'm interested in would be....

A single weight paper seems to print with better contact. Better mating of the film and paper is possible than with a double weight or heavy stock.

Neutral tonality is a plus. I tend to like the neutral to cool tones in much of my subject matter over warm tones.

Graded paper seems to yield a nicer tonality than the v/c choices. Just trying to squeeze a bit more life out of the print and match up tonalities for good depth.

Any thoughts on the newer bromide papers? I've used a few older types and they did a good job on tonality. Current candidates out there?

Thanks in advance. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've made prints on the current Oriental Seagull graded that are pretty close to Azo. I also have been using J&C Exposition graded (under various brand names) for some time as an enlarging paper and occasionally for contact prints, and I like that too. Exposition works well in Smith's amidol formula for enlarging papers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've long had a love affair with the J&C Classic Museum weight. It used to be sold by Freestyle as "Europes finest warm tone". In fresh Ansco 135 and a very quick tone in selenium this stuff can trip the densitometer needle at 2.16 to 2.2 which is an extreme black. It is warm though so not for everyone. It's a Forte product I believe. The other thing I like about it is the #2 grade needs a negative as long or longer than what I shoot for Platinum. So a single Pyro neg can double well on both printing mediums.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Is this the Jand C Paper

Jand C no longer lists the Bromide paper. They say this will produce a 2.25 black. Is this possibly the same, or very similar paper?

"JandC Expo is a heavy weight graded paper"

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    Jand C no longer lists the Bromide paper. They say this will produce a 2.25 black. Is this possibly the same, or very similar paper?

"JandC Expo is a heavy weight graded paper"

Jim
    This is the stuff I've used.

http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...TS&Category=81

And only in normal grade I might add. The soft and hard seem to be different animals.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Tim,

I might suggest trying some Oriental Seagull graded paper. I been using this paper from enlargments and very pleased with it, but now that AZO is gone for the time being...I will start using it for contact prints as well. It has a nice cool tone and produces very rich blacks. If you have been printing on G2 AZO, I would suggest trying G1 of the oriental. I print almost all my negatives on G3 AZO, and printing them on G3 Oriental is WAY to much contrast.

I don't believe their is ANY single weight paper being made right now, so even though its like using sheets of cardboard...your going to have to deal with double weight.

Anyways, hope all is well! I have not seen you for quite awhile, so I take it you have been keeping busy.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I just received my order of Kentmere bromide grd 2 and 3. As soon as my metronome arrives I'll report back my findings with this paper (beware this is my first contact printing excursion ouside of 4x5). I started a previous thread on this brand and people seemed to like it for contact printing.
    All I used to use when I was enlarging was Seagull, so if the Kentmere doesn't fly I'm ordering up some Seagull.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A
    I just received my order of Kentmere bromide grd 2 and 3. As soon as my metronome arrives I'll report back my findings with this paper (beware this is my first contact printing excursion ouside of 4x5). I started a previous thread on this brand and people seemed to like it for contact printing.
    All I used to use when I was enlarging was Seagull, so if the Kentmere doesn't fly I'm ordering up some Seagull.
    Mike

I only got into 8x10 a few months ago and a friend gave me some sheets of old grade 2 Azo to print on. They were great in Nuetol WA. I never used my Amidol so I don't know the look of Amidol/Azo.I hope MAS comes out with the new paper soon because Azo was the best. I got some Grade 3 Kentmere Bromide from Freestyle and it is great paper. I only contact print and it gave me deep blacks developed in LDP 1-4. Toned nicely in Selenium 1-15. A touch on the warm side but I liked the look. The highlights were a nice white and I liked the overall look of this paper. I went back and bought 100 sheets and at .60 a sheet it seems like a good deal. I'm just starting out contact printing and have a lot to learn but I hope this helps. Check it out, I think you will like it.

Jim Fitzgerald

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I really like Bergger Art Contact. Slow enough to contact print with reasonable control, and just barely fast enough to enlarge on - very long exposure times with "normal" equipment, so a bit difficult to lith print

And it tones "enthusiastically".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I've wanted to try the Bergger Art Contact, but it doesn't seem to available in the US. Does anyone know of a domestic US source?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin