Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,798   Online: 696

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Eliminating Black Border

I wish to eliminate the black border on my prints using a mask and was wondering what everyone uses? I have been using black electrical tape directly on the glass butt I don't find this a very versatile method. I'm using a vacuum frame so the material must be thin, is Rubylith the correct stuff to use? I've also read that an exposed and developed piece of film will work as well.
    Thanks,
    Mike A

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rubylith will work fine.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    Rubylith will work fine.
    Thank you and yes it does.
    Mike A

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Baseline masking sheets

I attended a workshop last fall with Kim Weston and Ryuijie. They use Baseline Masking sheets to eliminate the black boarder from around their contact prints. The sheets are a little thinner than rubylith, but they work fine, at least for platinum prints. I used then on a few sheets and when I run out of rubylith I will probably order the Baseline sheets instead. One nice thing about them is that they are ruled--they have a grid on them--which makes for easier cutting.

To cut, tape the neg to the the film at the top. Slide an old piece of film between the neg and the mask. Flip the whole thing over on the light box and trim away the mask using an exacto knife and straight edge. If you over cut, angle a piece of opaque tape at a 45 degree angle at the corner on the mask. Take out the old piece of film and tape the neg at the bottom to the mask. You are ready to print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use rubylith tape too, works well for me.. I'll have to look into those Baseline Masking sheets!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Baseline

Where can you buy baseline masking sheets?
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basline is news to me and I am going to look into it but for Rubylith try MisterArt http://www.misterart.com Search for Rubylith.

I don't normally cut a mask when I use it. I cut four strips with a straght edge and razor knife and tape them to my neg. I can use the same strips for various size negs rather than cutting a new mask.
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Here's the base-line stuff,I think I'll giver ah try. http://www.base-line.com/masking.htm
    Mike A

Shooter
    35mm
    Greetings Mike, do you no if Base-Line Masking Sheets or Rubylith can be used on Original Glass Plate Negatives, it sure is a drag after you scan them in and then have to go and get ride of the black border because all of them on the original glass are not the same dia. around the edge of the plates.

Thanks, Mike, i also live in Chicago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used both Amberlith and Rubylith for masking glass negatives, either one works fine, as do the ruled masking sheets.

Charlie.....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin