Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,160   Online: 992

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Replacement paper for Azo

We are now taking orders for the replacement silver chloride paper for Azo.

Details can be found on the Azo Forum at:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Az...GID=9056&CID=7

If anyone wants me to post full details here, I will be happy to do so.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Right on cue!

Images
    good luck
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Order is placed - thanks Michael for doing this
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Please.....

Michael and Paula make their living printing on silver chloride paper. I trust that what is happening behind the scenes to their satisfaction is more than good enough for me.

I will make my commitment very soon and I hope that others will do the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak
    I will make my commitment very soon and I hope that others will do the same.
    I'll be discussing it with my checking account tonight. My only open question is where I fall between the 1, 100 sheet box of each and 1 500 sheet box of each boundaries right now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jay,

I don't agree with your comments about Michael's purchase of the Super-XX stock. Super-XX was (is for those who still have still have some of it) an outstanding film, with a very straight line response and excellent expansion and contraction potential. Moreover, it is an ideal film for printing on AZO, and it is also an ideal film for DBI because of its relatively slow response, so in every respect it is almost perfect for the kind of developing and printing Michael and Paula do. I tested some of Michael's remaining stock of Super-XX a couple of years ago and it was still performing extremely well for their purposes. It did have a bit more B+F than I would like for alternative printing, but for AZO you could just print through the fog with no problem.

So in my opinion there was no mistake made at all. Michael was familiar with the film and making the purchase gave him a personal supply that has lasted for over fifteen years. And as a result he and Paula have been able to concentrate on making photograhs instead of wasting their time testing new films in order to find something compatible with their work flow.

I personally am of the opinion that TMY is a superior film in several very important ways. But for the kind of work Michael does Super-XX was, and still is, as close to perfect a film as you can get.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Michael K,

Do you feel that betting on the future of a potentially inferior product is more prudent than securing a supply of a known product for personal use? Didn't MAS do just that when he bought the remaining supply of SXX? In my opinion, MAS bet wrong on that one, and would have been better off switching to TMY, but TMY was developed and manufactured by the world's leader in the production and QC of B&W film, and not by an untested, unproven, unknown entity.

Jay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OT SXX is very nice film and nothing like the T max films.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    I'm waiting for an answer to Michael and Paula about payment[SIZE=1]( I have any problems with international checks, I'm Italian and so a bit mor difficult with the banks)[/SIZE] before to place my order.
    I think it's a beautiful news, but I've a little doubt, How many sheets to buy?
    Choose a box of 500 or one of 100 sheets? :rolleyes:
    I usually print enough, and maybe 500 are better than 100, but what quantity do you have decide to buy?

Best

Stefano
    Italy(Tuscany)
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jay's point about wanting to test something is valid, but the smallest quantity you can order is 100 sheets so why not begin your testing by ordering a box? No offense, but how can you test any material if you don't try the stuff? If you’re curious about trying those new cage-free chicken eggs at the grocery store, they won’t sell you a single egg – you buy a dozen and give them a shot.

I've been saying for years that Kodak's exit from traditional materials would be the best thing to happen to fine art photographers because it signals a shift in the supply chain to passionate, like-minded niche players who are actually targeting us as the primary customer. "Artists", "Enthusiasts" - whatever you wish to call us, we are not Kodak's customer, although they have been happy to take our money. The professional and consumer markets have always represented the overwhelming customer base and now that these markets are migrating - no, RUNNING to digital technology, the market that remains is far too small for Kodak to justify. Rightly so, they are a public company with shareholders to please.

However, the market that remains is now wide open for passionate, knowledgeable people like M+P to step up and fill in the gap. These folks wish to produce and sell products that are targeted for our consumption, not prepress houses or hospitals or advertising agencies or schools, but photography enthusiasts and artists who are concerned with an aesthetic rather than solving some business problem.

So rejoice! This is a glorious day! It’s 2006 and we’re seeing the birth of the first new silver chloride photographic paper in perhaps 50 years or more. How can we be anything less than excited about that prospect!?!?

Meanwhile, test the stuff and reserve judgment until you’ve seen your own prints on the drying rack.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin