Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,011   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks. I will get the technical information on the specific bulb in question.

Just curious, what would be some of the major functional differences between short-arc and long-arc in this type of system?

Sandy

[QUOTE=avandesande]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp

okay maybe this will get you started./QUOTE]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sandy,

If you can, please describe the reflector that they are using to gain even light spread across the projection area.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Donald,

The entire area surrounding the bulb is covered with a silvery mirror like surface that is stated to reflect a very high percentage of UV light. The shape around the bulb is similar to that of NuArc 26-1k or 1ks, but the reflecting surface is very different.

The width of the vacuum frame is 28 inches. That is, the maximum width of paper you could put in the unit is 28 inches. I will be conducting tests soon to determine how much light fall-off there is from the center to various other spots in the frame. That figure with my NuArc 26-1k was about 1.5 stops, for a slightly shorter distance.

BTW, thanks very much for the sheet of ND filter you sent me. It has been very useful in calibrating my new Xenon pulse sensitometer.

Best,

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Sandy,

If you can, please describe the reflector that they are using to gain even light spread across the projection area.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sandy, Thanks...It sounds like Mirro Silver or a similar reflective material. Glad to be of help.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just out of curosity, why is a company producing a new product specifically for the ULF market, especially in the supposedly declining world of analog photography? This company has always made equipment for industrial use, not for people in our world. I assume you've been working with them in the development process and that they just didn't drop the first unit on your doorstep to try out.

It's a real nice sign to see something like this come out. Please keep us posted on your testing results.

-R

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most likely they are just marketing an existing UV curing product for ULF use.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie
    Just out of curosity, why is a company producing a new product specifically for the ULF market, especially in the supposedly declining world of analog photography? This company has always made equipment for industrial use, not for people in our world. I assume you've been working with them in the development process and that they just didn't drop the first unit on your doorstep to try out.

It's a real nice sign to see something like this come out. Please keep us posted on your testing results.

-R
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know anything about the long arc type bulbs. I do know that the wiki article is pretty incomplete, short-arc xenon HID is now used for many different applications. Some of the high end import cars use them for headlights. You can even get small units that you can wear for desert racing.
    https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/item...temCode=340000

[QUOTE=sanking]Thanks. I will get the technical information on the specific bulb in question.

Just curious, what would be some of the major functional differences between short-arc and long-arc in this type of system?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp

okay maybe this will get you started./QUOTE]
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    Most likely they are just marketing an existing UV curing product for ULF use.
    If it works well, I'm all for off-label use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy,

Which magazine will your review be published in? VC?

-Bryan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bryan,

I will be looking first at on-line journals, such as unblinkingeye.com, and perhaps one of the main-line photographic magazines after that. Alternative photographers do not tend to subscribe to any of the trade journals that we would normally associate with this type of light unit.

BTW, I am involved with the testing of the ULF-28 but I did not work as a consultant with them in the design of the unit. As a prevous poster suggested the unit is an adaptation of one of their existing units, with the changes focused at the niche market of photograhers who want to contact print with LF and ULF negatives.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by brYan
    Sandy,

Which magazine will your review be published in? VC?

-Bryan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin