Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,660   Online: 950

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sandy, I think the long-arc bulb is used for conveyor belt cure applications. This will give uniform illumination vs point source. Didn't want you to miss out on your useless fact of the day!
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Which fact did you find most useless?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    Sandy, I think the long-arc bulb is used for conveyor belt cure applications. This will give uniform illumination vs point source. Didn't want you to miss out on your useless fact of the day!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually maybe not useless if you exposed on some sort of belt or moving table. I am not sure if exposure falloff is even an issue with alt process.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Sandy:

Is there any update on your testing of this unit? I am very interested in getting one. I have a new 12x20 camera and I need a vacuum frame and lightsource and this seems like the perfect unit. I have checked eBay for Nuarcs 26-1Ks and individual components but finding ones in good shape that the seller will ship has not been possible. It also seems that none on my side of the country ever show up for me to pick up locally. So, I'll look into buying a new one and this seems to be a perfect fit.

Please let me know how far you are from making your final assessment. Do you see any reason why I can't order one within the next month, after I pay uncle sam?

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie
    Hi Sandy:

Is there any update on your testing of this unit? I am very interested in getting one. I have a new 12x20 camera and I need a vacuum frame and lightsource and this seems like the perfect unit. I have checked eBay for Nuarcs 26-1Ks and individual components but finding ones in good shape that the seller will ship has not been possible. It also seems that none on my side of the country ever show up for me to pick up locally. So, I'll look into buying a new one and this seems to be a perfect fit.

Please let me know how far you are from making your final assessment. Do you see any reason why I can't order one within the next month, after I pay uncle sam?

Thanks.

-R
    Hi Reggie,

Although it will be some time before I finish my review of the unit and get it in print I have already reached the opinion that the ULF-28 is the best printing unit I have ever used, and I have used both bank of BL and BLB tubes and a NuArc 26-1k with a metal halide bulb. Compared to the NuArc, the ULF-28 prints faster in every process I have tested to date (carbon, kallitype, Pt./Pd. VDB and cyanotype) , gives more even illumination over the entire area of the vacuum frame, re-strikes faster and reaches full output almost immediately, and has the advantage of a computer-type interface that allows numerous pre-sets.

I am recommending it very highly, and will of course provide very detailed analysis in my review.

Not sure when it will be for sale. I would suggest that you get in touch with Robert Lesko at AmerGraph to check on date of availability.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As I understand it, there will be options available:

1) Attenuator, this filter will fit in a cassette that covers the lamp to
    reduce the light by approximately 60%.

2) UV Blocking Filter, this filter will fit in a cassette that covers the lamp
    to eliminate the UV component with shorter wavelengths than 400nm.

3) Auto Vacuum module, this electronic control plugs into the
    controller/integrator and will automatically turn on and off the vacuum
    before and after an exposure.

4) Light Curtain, this option mounts around the top of the unit to reduce
    light spillage.

Which of thesee would you recommend? Does you test unit have all these options?

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As I understand it, there will be options available:

1) Attenuator, this filter will fit in a cassette that covers the lamp to
    reduce the light by approximately 60%.

2) UV Blocking Filter, this filter will fit in a cassette that covers the lamp
    to eliminate the UV component with shorter wavelengths than 400nm.

3) Auto Vacuum module, this electronic control plugs into the
    controller/integrator and will automatically turn on and off the vacuum
    before and after an exposure.

4) Light Curtain, this option mounts around the top of the unit to reduce
    light spillage.

Which of thesee would you recommend? Does you test unit have all these options?

Thanks.

-R
    The unit I have has options 1, 3 and 4. The attenuator would not be useful for priting alternative processes since exposures are long and you want all the radiation you can get. The auto vacuum feature is a real convenience, but not a necessity. The light curtain is highly recommended to avoid eye exposure to UV light, but you could just use UV goggles. And some people will install the unit in an enclosed area that will contain the light, which would make the curtain not necessary.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The atteunator would be useful for printing on standard graded bromide papers wouldn't it? Does the unit put out so much light that exposure times would be very short without the attenuator?

I assume this unit could not be used with variable-contrast papers in any way (no filter pack available)? If not, can the the upper unit of the ULF-28 be moved in any way so that we could use the vaccum frame and a VC light source from an enlarger?

Otherwise, how is the testing going? Anything new? Wehn do you anticipate on giving the thumbs up to AmerGraph and getting product reviews posted and published. I might suggest posting on www.mamutphoto.com also.

I have already placed an order for one of these and they will fill it pending the outcome of your evaluation.

Take care and thanks for your efforts.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The atteunator would be useful for printing on standard graded bromide papers wouldn't it? Does the unit put out so much light that exposure times would be very short without the attenuator?

I assume this unit could not be used with variable-contrast papers in any way (no filter pack available)? If not, can the the upper unit of the ULF-28 be moved in any way so that we could use the vaccum frame and a VC light source from an enlarger?

Otherwise, how is the testing going? Anything new? Wehn do you anticipate on giving the thumbs up to AmerGraph and getting product reviews posted and published. I might suggest posting on www.mamutphoto.com also.

I have already placed an order for one of these and they will fill it pending the outcome of your evaluation.

Take care and thanks for your efforts.

-R

Reggie,

I am just testing the light unit, not doing consulting work for AmerGraph, so I think their decision as to when to go into production will have nothing to do with my findings. If that is the case, they have that already since I find everything about the unit very positive.

After finishing all of my testing of alterative processes I will experiment with silver papers. I believe that the attenuator by itself will not reduce the light enough even for contact printing with AZO, but it may be possible to reduce the light further with a combination of ND filters which could be placed over the attenuator.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy, How is this unit different than their V-28 VMS 1200 watt table top unit? That lists for 2595.00

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin