Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 805

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP
    Sandy, How is this unit different than their V-28 VMS 1200 watt table top unit? That lists for 2595.00

The major difference is the light source itself. The V-28 uses a metal halide lamp, the ULF-28 a Continuous Wave Xenon. The advantage of the latter is immediae re-strike capability, very useful if you need to make multiple exposures in a short perod of time. With metal halide lamps you must allow the bulb to cool for a period of time before they will strike again.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy this must be a prototype. Amergraph specs on their V28-VMS Metal Halide 1200 watt table top imaging system makes the same claim. " Speed: Instant Start 1200 Watt Multi-Spectrum Metal Halide with patented circuitry, exposes plates and proofing materials 3 to5 times faster than comparable Mercury Vapor Units and does not require cool-down between exposeures." I was considering their V28-VMS unit until I read your post. Now I think I'll hold off and contact Amergraph and find out about this new unit.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    " between exposures".... sp

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy, I just received an email from Robert Lesko of AmerGraph. He has convinced me to hold out until the production run of the ULF-28 is completed. This sounds like a great unit. Please keep us updated on your test results. He has also informed me that there will be a nice discount for apug members. They picked the right man to test the prototype. Keep up the good work. And thank you again for your contribution to ULF.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy, Have you composed the final test results of the ULF-28? Your preliminary tests were more than promising. Has anyone else bought and used one of these units? It would be interesting to hear more about it if they have. Thanks, Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP
    Sandy, Have you composed the final test results of the ULF-28? Your preliminary tests were more than promising. Has anyone else bought and used one of these units? It would be interesting to hear more about it if they have. Thanks, Robert
    Robert,

I have completed my testing of the ULF-28 and will be placing the review in an on-line source very soon, say 10-14 days.

My understanding is that several units are currently nearing completion and will be available for sale soon. There are several options available, including one that will have a secondary low-wattage light source that will permit printing with regular silver papers. This is not an option on my unit but I recommened it to AmerGraph because IMO a dual purpose light that can print in both silver and altrnative processes should be very attractive. I think in the future more and more people making silver print will be doing all of the corrections in Photoshop and printing by contact from digital negatives.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 08-12-2006 at 09:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sandy, so digital negs better than film in pyro for silver contact printing? This sounds intriguing. Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters
    Sandy, so digital negs better than film in pyro for silver contact printing? This sounds intriguing. Scott
    No, I don't want to say any way of working is better than another. However, I believe there are people who will want to print on silver papers rather than make prints directly on an inkjet, and contact printing from digital negatives is one way to do this. One could also use the ULF-28 to contact print directly from in-camera negatives, using either slow silver chloride paper like AZO, or projection type silver papers with the secondary low wattage bulb. In other words, with the proper options you could print with any process with this unit.

Of course, if you just want to print on silver there are less expensive light sources that will work fine, but bear in mind that with the ULF-28 you also get a vacuum frame and light integration.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sandy, thanks. This sounds like a great unit. Since I have experimented with palladium/platinum, using the sun....this unit may work great for my azo and palladium printing 'needs' with my analog 8 x 10 and 7 x 17 negs. Plus the vacuum would be a nice addition, although my contact printing frame seems to work well now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters
    Sandy, thanks. This sounds like a great unit. Since I have experimented with palladium/platinum, using the sun....this unit may work great for my azo and palladium printing 'needs' with my analog 8 x 10 and 7 x 17 negs. Plus the vacuum would be a nice addition, although my contact printing frame seems to work well now.
    Scott,

BTW, I finished my review of the ULF-28 and the article will be up on Ed Buffaloe's unblinkingeye.com site soon, maybe tomorrow.

I highly recommend this unit. Prints with alternative processes faster by far than anything else I have used, and with options one can use it for alternative processes, contact speed silver processes like AZO, and with projection speed silver papers. And you can make prints up to 20X24" (maximum paper size is 24X28".

Sandy

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin