Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,886   Online: 1027

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the excellent advice. I'll go on and order the Gast that was suggested above for $39.99. Are there any other supplies I will need with the pump?

Thanks again,
    Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    If you deal with an industrial supply house do not ask for a vacumm pump..ask for a vacuum motor. Vacum pomps are designed to move liquids, vacuum motors to move air. I realize that it is common to use the term vacuum pump but it is incorrect and can cause confusion as I found out at an industrial supply house.

There is available a vacuum motor made by Daytom electric for approx $120.00 from Grainger that should work nicely bu will need you to construct a housing.

Good luck with your project.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    I placed an order for the Gast motor suggested earlier. I think it will provide me with everything I need at the moment and was a good price. Any other suggestions are welcomed. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress.

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, so now I've recieved the Gast pump I ordered. I wasn't aware these needed a power supply. Is it possible to just splice the wires and connect it to a plug for the wall? If not, what type of power supply would work (PC power supply?)?

Thanks,
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There should be a wiring diagram on the cover plate at the end of the pump to show where the power should be applied. It should be 110 or 220 volts depending on the motor you ordered. Some motors have connections to run either voltage.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Martin,

Forgive what must be a stupid question since I don't see anyone else asking it. You say that you want to build a contact printing frame, a one to one process, for up to 20x24 even though you are using 8x10. Do you have dreams of a 20x24 camera or is there some way you plan to enlarge? If the former I wish I had your strength and budget. If the later I would like to learn about this.

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey John,

I see we're both from Ohio. Well being a student I don't have the luxury of being able to buy LF cameras. So at the risk of being burned here, I used digital Negatives. In theory I could make almost any size I want within reason. At the moment I am only making 8x10 at home and will farm out the other printing for larger negs when I get some more experience. You can check out the "Gray" area forum under Alt Pro here on APUG for more info. If you find you're interested in this, send me a PM and I can send you some links for free resources online.

Regards,
    Martin

PS, Thank you everyone else for your inputs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin