Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,584   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Any news on Azo replacement?

What's the latest word from Michael A. Smith on his Lodima Fine Art contact paper? I believe he hoped to show sample prints on the new paper at the APUG conference in Toronto.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

AZO

Allan-nothing yet but hold your breath because the final test samples are coming down the pike in just a hot New York Minute!! I don't remember Michael ever saying he would have test prints at the conference. But who cares. He still needs more people to put up some front money but I know he will get it done.
    Did you invest? If not you should. This an extraordinary venture, A NEW Silver Chloride Paper in the 21 century. Who would have thought....
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the conference he said that he had the first samples off the coating machines delivered to him at the conference, but he was going to wait until he was in his home darkroom to test them. In the Azo workshop he used the old Kodak paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Azo for years and the only way I can see a replacement paper for it is if one neg is used for both papers for the same exposure time and procedure and compared side by side (as the song used to say), the we can see if it is truly a replacement or a substitute. Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Why is everyone assuming that it can't be better than Azo? If I know Michael Smith, it will be. He wields a great deal of control over this process, as opposed to none over Kodak's.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

AZO

not only that but Michael is NOT going to settle for second best. Just pulling this off will be a major feat. Just slight variations in Kettle size and pouring can throw the whole thing off. To be honest it's quite interesting and at the same time probably exasperating. I wish him luck but I'm in on the buy regardless...
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    At the conference he said that he had the first samples off the coating machines delivered to him at the conference,
    This may well indicate the paper is going to be made by one of the leading manufacturer of B&W photo papers, "that's reading between the lines". Here in Europe Kodak B&W papers have always lagged well behind other manufacturers in terms of quality and range. However the modern tradition for Large Format contact prints was until recently mainly a US market, which was why no european manufacturer still made a mass market Chloride contact printing paper.

Well one did until quite recently but only sold it into the schools/education market, and my guess is this is the new manufacturer.

If I'm right this is the only company capable of actually making a better product than AZO :-)

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager
    not only that but Michael is NOT going to settle for second best.
    I know that he and Paula were unhappy with the changes that showed up in the last batch of Grade 2, namely the softness and cold tones. In this regard it's actually the Azo that will come off as second best, because I'm certain that they will not accept any paper that isn't at least the equal of the old Rochester Grade 2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    This may well indicate the paper is going to be made by one of the leading manufacturer of B&W photo papers
    Ian
    If you're thinking of Ilford, that was not the impression I got at all. I suspect that it is one of the eastern European coaters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... and David Blaine will hold his breath for...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin