Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,515   Online: 1112

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, something must gall you, or you would not go out of your way to be so rude and unpleasant
    yep, experts who spend more time telling us how wonderful they are than answering simple questions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    yep, experts who spend more time telling us how wonderful they are than answering simple questions.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,
    To shine for Him each day;
    In every way try to please Him,
    At home, at school, at play.

Refrain

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;
    A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
    Iíll be a sunbeam for Him.

Jesus wants me to be loving,
    And kind to all I see;
    Showing how pleasant and happy
    His little one can be.

Refrain

I will ask Jesus to help me
    To keep my heart from sin,
    Ever reflecting His goodness,
    And always shine for Him.

Refrain

Iíll be a sunbeam for Jesus;
    I can if I but try;
    Serving Him moment by moment,
    Then live with Him on high.

Refrain

I'll Be A Sunbeam
    Words: Nellie Talbot
    Music: Edwin O. Excell

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    You no doubt have more experience than I, but I am surprised at the former, and I'm not quite sure what you mean about 'mis-loads'.

As for the latter, yes, it does reduce repeatability, but I can't say that worries me too much; a modest degree of variation is for me part of the attraction of the few alternative processes I have tried, but then, few of them have been humidity-dependent. In the latter case I suspect I might feel differently. But with PoP and silver-iron prints, another part of the attraction is working as people did 100 or more years ago; I use an artificial UV source for convenience, sometimes, but I prefer daylight.

Then again, many of my favourite prints from the past -- Roger Fenton, for example -- are probably not what you would classify as 'fine'.

Cheers,

Roger
    Roger,

By misloads I mean moving the orientation or placement of the negative on the paper.

For example I prefer to print 8x10 negatives on 11x14 paper, usually with a mask to produce sharply defined edges showing no brush marks centered in the sheet of paper.

With some papers, cockling occurs as a result of coating. The degree of cockling will vary depending upon the kind paper but never the less can create problems which will be all but eliminated when using a vacuum printing frame.

As for printing by inspection, I feel that many people are mislead by the notion that good results can be obtain consistenly by sun printing an inspecting the exposures. And just because this is the way Roger Fenton and others worked really doesn't have any bearing on the way one should work today as materials have changed dramatically. I imagine you may do sun printing based on sentimental reasons. Sunlight does have a broder spectra than electric light sources and can give different results but on the whole printing with sun light is highly variable and impossible to do at night.

When printing negs larger thatn 8x10 by all of my experience has been with enlarged negatives, as 8x10 is currently the largest format I use. But when one starts coating up large sheets of expensive paper with palladium then eliminating potential points of failure becomes extremely important.

Finally, even with small negatives, a vacuum easel does produce sharper images than ones made with high quality contact printing frames. The difference is most noticeible when printing on silver gelatin emulsions but alternative processes benifit as well.

Processes such as multi-coat gums or gum over palladium benefit even more, BTW, IMO.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Don,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. You are indeed right about 'sentimental reasons' but despite your informed assurance I shall have to try vacuum printing for myself before I am fully convinced. Please do not take this amiss. You have no reason to lie, after all, and I do not think for one moment that you are making it up. It is just hard to believe, given the sharpness I get on PoP from big negs, so I want to see for myself how much difference it makes. . .

Drat you! I shall now have to buy a vacuum frame...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    I med me oan;
    http://www.alternativephotography.co...es/art017.html
    an ritt an arltikel fer Malin

Jim
    There are only three things in life worth doing, art food and work, the order is merely alphabetical and if you can combine the first and the last ............

---------------------------------------------
    Toned Cyanotypes for sale
    http://www.jrbham.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    What, you mean I am not spreading sunshine David?

Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,
    To shine for Him each day;
    In every way try to please Him,
    At home, at school, at play.

Refrain

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;
    A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
    Iíll be a sunbeam for Him.

Jesus wants me to be loving,
    And kind to all I see;
    Showing how pleasant and happy
    His little one can be.

Refrain

I will ask Jesus to help me
    To keep my heart from sin,
    Ever reflecting His goodness,
    And always shine for Him.

Refrain

Iíll be a sunbeam for Jesus;
    I can if I but try;
    Serving Him moment by moment,
    Then live with Him on high.

Refrain

I'll Be A Sunbeam
    Words: Nellie Talbot
    Music: Edwin O. Excell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    What, you mean I am not spreading sunshine David?
    You are just OCCASIONALLY obscured by storm clouds!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin