Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,200   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Paper Suggestions for 4x5 Contact Printing

I've collected all the gear to set up and contact print. Now my question would be to hear some insight into good paper recommendations for general portrature contact pritns from 4x5 negatives.

I most likely will be using an ilford standard paper developer or something simlar (nothing specialized, at least for now). So would you have a recommendation on HP5 and TRI-X Negatives developed in Agfa Rodinal? I tend to like prints with a bit of contrast that come off dynamic.

-Marek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Devil's adovcate: for you, what is the purpose of the contact print? Is it a proof to inform you about the content of the negative. or is it "the" output per se?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    With the demise Kodak's Azo, there is no longer specific contact printing paper on the market. So, pick your favorite poison out of the many enlarging papers out there. If you have a current favorite, that would be the one to start with.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Depends a lot on what you plan to expose the paper with. If you have an enlarger with variable contrast filters, a VC paper would be best. If you don't have an enlarger, it may be best to look toward a graded material.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    For my contact prints I am using Oriental in Ansco 130. Has nice tones and good blacks, but you have to selenium tone it to get the cool blacks. About 1:9 or 1:10 about 3 mins.

One day I hope to hand coat my own contact papers and then, well no more worries.

Just my two cents.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    With the demise Kodak's Azo, there is no longer specific contact printing paper on the market. ...
    What about Bergger Art Contact? Isn't that still on the market?

Except for that: Pick a paper you like. Smoother surfaces give sharper prints, but that may not always be what works best.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what some have said JandC's Nuance paper is pretty good for contact printing - after all an ancestor of this paper was used by Edward Weston for some of his contact prints. Alternatively JandC's FINEPRINT paper which is VC could be useful as it can hold a very long tonal range with a strong D-max. Try and see.

Good luck,

Lachlan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been enjoying making contact prints under a 7watt bulb and two pieces of glass. I opted to start with Ilford RC warm tone paper and Dektol because I got the paper for super cheap. I like the results but will eventually try to get comfortable with the Bromide paper made by Kentmore. I think this paper is a good match with the way I print. I'm not sure on a developer yet but am interested in Ansco 130.

You can see some of my initial results in my gallery. Contact printing is a ton of fun and if the negative is big enough you mostly don't need an enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you can still get Azo from Michael A Smith (www.michaelandpaula.com) though I don't know what sizes.

I see Azo on Ebay in smallish sizes a lot too.

And Lodima Fine Art *will* eventually be available....

For contact printing I'd start at Michael's site.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I just checked the web site and Bergger Art Contact is nt listed under their products.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin