Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,438   Posts: 1,596,954   Online: 1221

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is contact printing

Hello, the only thing i know contact printing by is when you put all your 35 mm negatives flat on photo paper, put glass on it and then shine light thru them so that you can see all your pictures, on one piece of paper, and use that to base your exposure weel calculations on to get the proper exposure time the first time you make the print. I also make a contact print for my customers when they ask me to take a roll of film of subject x and then they want to pick the pictures they like. That way they can see a small version of each picture on one piece of paper wich saves money on paper and chemicals and most importantly, time.

Other than what i described above, what is contact printing?
    So far i have made the educated guess that its what you do for large format (8x10 negatives), but i could be entirely wrong. So im embarrassed for asking this, but but there it is. If anyone could help me out thanks.

Nick L.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's all it is--printing a negative in direct contact (usually) with the paper, emulsion to emulsion.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Yep - that's basically it - as you refer to it with 8x10 - usually printing a larger negative (5x7 upwards to 20x24...etc , but some also do 4x5) by direct contact and exposure to the printing paper.

And you can get into also sorts of voodoo - pyro developers, AZO paper, POP (printing out paper), Platinum prints etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    here's my interpretation...

generally, a 'contact sheet' is a set of negs printed in the manner you describe, a contact print usually means a single print made in a similar manner, although usually a bigger (4"x5" and larger) negative would be used

Shooter
    35mm
    People who make contact prints from large format negs, generally engage in it for specific purposes. Most alternative processes must be contact printed, as they require UV light for exposure, and there exists no practical UV enlarger.

In these scenario, a larger image requires a larger neg, thus some of the impetus behind ULF (Ultra Large Format) cameras.

The aforementioned AZO and hopefully soon forthcoming Lodima contact papers are slow silver chloride papers, specifically designed for contact printing. The printers who use these papers do so for the specific abilities they find in the paper, notably, dense blacks coupled with an ability to resolve the finest details in the highlights, along with the almost unreal apparent sharpness of a contact print. A well executed contact print can appear almost three dimensional.

Almost any paper, however, can be used for contact printing, some work better than others. In the last day, I have posted an 8x10 contact print made on Polywarmtone titled "Spun Aluminium Lamp" Because the negative prints directly to the paper, there is no technical equal (IMO) to a well executed contact print in the analog or digital realm.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 07-20-2006 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner

Almost any paper, however, can be used for contact printing, some work better than others. In the last day, I have posted an 8x10 contact print made on Polywarmtone titled "Spun Aluminium Lamp" Because the negative prints directly to the paper, there is no technical equal (IMO) to a well executed contact print in the analog or digital realm.
    Polywarmtone in either Neutal WA (above 24c I think it is - don't recall off-hand) or Glycin developer makes for a particularly nice contact print based solely on fairly "standard" materials

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    Polywarmtone in either Neutal WA (above 24c I think it is - don't recall off-hand) or Glycin developer makes for a particularly nice contact print based solely on fairly "standard" materials
    Yes, I prefer Ansco 130, lasts forever, and I am a Glycin snorter. It's also less messy and easier to mix than Amidol, and that is important when you're as clumsy as I am. For the record, Nick, Amidol is perceived by many of the Azo printers, as the best developer for the process. I personally don't see any difference in a 130 print over an Amidol print, all other things being equal, but my opinion is purely subjective.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 07-20-2006 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    I personally don't see any difference in a 130 print over an Amidol print, all other things being equal, but my opinion is purely subjective.
    Although I haven't printed AZO in a few years (I'm into other sorts of voodoo now), I completely agree. I did some side-by-side testing many years ago with Ansco 130 and Amidol. I showed the prints to many people and no-one could pick a clear difference. I encourage anyone who's drinking the Amidol Kool-Aid to give it a try.

BTW, color is voodoo, too.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bingo. Work better with large negatives. I use 11x14 negatives and contact print them with a 6mm thick piece of glass.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandy King did some comparisons of Ansco 130 and amidol a while back and demonstrated that they could produce identical results when used straight, but that water bath processing is not as effective with Ansco 130 as it is with amidol.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin