Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,093   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newton's rings

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's odd, how these things behave. There have been so many reports of contributing factors and remedies that it's really hard to find the common thread. Loose Gravel's report that diffuse light sources diminish the NR effects is directly opposite my own. I'm sure LG's report is factual, but I HAD to use use a diffuse source to see the problem with Kevin's frame. When I first tried to see the rings, I tried sunlight. All I could see were a few small patterns (even with a magnifying glass). I tried incandescent light, but still no results. When I got the little light box I use to view slides (very diffuse), and looked at the reflection of it in the printing frame the NR's were everywhere, and very well defined. Could be the difference is transmission vs reflection. Anyway I'm glad to hear that menglert's problem is fixed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm nowhere near a pro contact printer, but I've done about 40 the last 2 days (small ones, 8x10 max) using a contact printer (paterson) and also a "sandwich" with 2 plain plates of "opticaly perfect" glass.
    The first handful of prints I could see newton ring patterns in the glass (both mounts), at an angle.. Since I was testing exposure etc, I ignored them and I kept at it without cleaning the glass (apart from obvious marks) and after 10 prints or so the rings disappeared completely.

So maybe having a "worked out" piece of glass makes a difference ? It could amount to a residue of dust etc from the various negs that were pressed against the glass, but it made a fantastic difference...

I think that now I will "train" the glass a bit before important prints...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    To add to this thread:

I live in Utah. Very dry. I get NR if I lay the negative on the glass right after cleaning. If I let it dry, they go away.

I also use a single side anti reflection glass for silver printing. I would like to use it for platinum as well, but it is also a 94%uv glass. It tends to slow things down a little.

I hope to find a source of non-UV antiglare glass. Anyone? Anyone?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I get the best result with AN glass. I have tried Denglas which is recommended by Ctein..not very effective for me.

For 6x7 and smaller negatives one may buy AN slide mounts in 85mm square.
    You will get 20 pieces on AN glass and 20 pieces of regular glass.

One method that I have found to be effective with regular glass is to tape the long top edge to either an open frame or bottm glass and then apply tape to the opposite side and trim it to the negative width w/o overhang. Then I Tape a piece of regular glass over this. The glass pushes the film flat and since the glass is resting on the tape the newton rings go away. This is fairly effective. Sometimes I still need to use AN glass. As far as the Denglass I do not recommend it.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    I get the best result with AN glass. I have tried Denglas which is recommended by Ctein..not very effective for me.

Just an interesting aside, Denglass went out of business in April of this year.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I too was having problems with Newton's Rings. I started using a piece of frosted glass on the top side of the neg carrier. It works great, except for when i try to print overexposed film. That stuff comes out looking really grainy. Anyone else have this experience? Is it fixable?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Howard Bond related that he used a glass holder on his 8x10 enlarger and never experienced any Newton rings. While photographing the Cathedrals of England, he stood on Isaac Newton's burial spot in Westminster Abbey..when he returned home and began to print, there were Newton rings!!...EC

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a glass that seems to be slightly frosted and used for framing. You can find it at Joann Fabrics, Michaels, or I'm sure other framing shops. I forget the exact name of the glass, but ask to see samples of their selection and you can easily pick it out. It has a very faint and fine frosting to it.

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    There is a glass that seems to be slightly frosted and used for framing. You can find it at Joann Fabrics, Michaels, or I'm sure other framing shops. I forget the exact name of the glass, but ask to see samples of their selection and you can easily pick it out. It has a very faint and fine frosting to it.

Regards,
    Martin
    That's the glass, I was talking about. It's the anti-glare picture framing glass. It should work above the negative.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you also get it at halbe.de .
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin