Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 818

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Are you waiting for Lodima or stocking up on Azo?

Below is a post regarding the availability of 11x14 Azo on Ebay and the rather high prices folks are paying for Azo these days. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.....

I'd be willing to bet that the buyer of this paper probably has an order in with M&P for Lodima. I'm pretty sure all of the other folks paying $2-$3 per 8x10 sheet for Azo also have orders with M&P. The problem is that nobody can say for sure just when Lodima will be available, or if Lodima will ever be available.

I too, have a rather large order in for the new Lodima, but folks still want to produce images in the here and now, not wait in limbo for something that may never come to fruition. Remember M&P were asking us to pony up at the same time Kodak & Ilford were taking orders for ULF film. Due to this I ordered less Lodima and less TMY then I would have if they hadn't coincided. Thanks to J&C's moving sale, I now have lots of ULF TMY, but what I am missing is ULF Azo. I plan to at least double my current Lodima order once M&P announce it is ready to be produced. We Azo users should all count our blessings that M&P weren't using Forte to produce Lodima. If that were the case M&P would be back at square one.

You also have to deal with the issue of single weight paper. If my understanding is correct, M&P have already purchased the single weight paper to coat Lodima on because they weren't sure how long single weight paper would be available. The initial run may be the only run of single weight Lodima.

I don't blame someone for purchasing a known product they can use today. Over the last 2 years, I've managed to acquire what I believe is a lifetime supply of Azo in 8x10 grade 2 and probably 8x10 grade 4. What I still need is some 8x10 grade 3 and 20x24 grades 2 & 3. Keep in mind that I am an enthusiast, not a producing photographer like Ryan McIntosh and so many others on this forum, so my lifetime supply is probably much smaller than others.

I've learned to tune my negatives so that I can get the most from the Canadian grade 2 Azo.

I wish M&P were able to announce that Lodima was ready to be produced, and that we could expect to receive it by summer, but that just isn't going to happen.

The way I see it, there is very little downside to stocking up on Azo. It will last for decades, unlike almost every other currently available B&W paper. My negatives print well on Azo. Afterall, M&P tried to set aside a lifetime supply of Azo for themselves, so they must have had some reservations on the timiing and possibility of Lodima making it to market.

Again, for all of us, I hope Lodima is a smashing success.....and SOON!

Your thoughts?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've made a pre-order for the Lodima paper, but I'm not halting my printing pending its arrival, nor am I stocking up on Azo.

Firstly, the prices Azo is going for are too rich for my blood. Power to the ones that have to have it that bad and can pay for it.

Secondly, if Lodima comes to be, that will be great. If it doesn't, I'll get along. These things happen over time and we have to adjust to them.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Both, I have orders plus stocking up (recently) on AZO, as the launch of Lodima is unknown. I am trying new papers....just tried some today as a matter of fact...Kentmere Bromide was more akin to azo than kentmere kentona which was warmer (creamy whites, almost a brown town). The Bromide was close, but....one thing I noticed was that AZO prints are sharper and have better blacks/contrast. It's close mind you, and if I didn't have the azo next to it.....

Well, I am also testing jandc nuance (fotokemika papers, I think) and will report on it as it is deemed to be close as well. I am hopeful that Lodima will come through, for a variety of reasons (plant choosing and Michael and Paula's committment). But I sure hope they come through soon....the prices of azo on ebay are too high...$3 a sheet....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't afford to make a large pre-order of Lodima. Instead of paying extortion like prices on Ebay for AZO, I will save my pennies so when Lodima gets here I will be able to support its manufacture with a purchase at that time.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm printing on the Azo I have until it runs out, and then I will manage with other papers until the Lodima paper is ready or perhaps I'll coat my own silver chloride paper.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    - perhaps I'll coat my own silver chloride paper.
    That works too and I've tried some. If I had the roomspace I could devote to coating, think I would be doing it.

David, how would you cope with hand coating living in an apartment? (looking to steal an idea here )
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

late to the game

Unfortunately I was not purchasing AZO while it was available but I heve recently bought 2 boxes of 8x10 on ebay at the ridiculous prices. I have also gotten hold of a box of 500 sheets of 3.5x5 inch AZO along with several boxes of Velox; (also in small sizes)another older contact paper. So I'll be printing in the smaller sizes for quite a while and reserve the larger sheets for my 8x10 camera. I really could not resist regardless of the price. I just sold off most of my Forte papers and sent M+P a nice check for the new paper. After doing Photography for over 30 years there is nothing that can match the quality of an AZO print. I also have an excellant stash of Agfa Portiga paper and 500 sheet box of some of the older Kodabromide. But I really want to print on AZO or the new replacement. Michael WILL prevail!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, you know how to coat your own!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I ran out of grade 2, I decided that was it for Azo & me. I can't afford to pay the high prices. I have faith in the Lodima endeavor and will wait it out. Meanwhile, what little printing I do will be on a few different papers. I will have a nice backlog of negatives to print when Lodima is finally released.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using what I have left, some 2500 sheets of Azo and look forward to Lodima when it comes out but I don't count on it anymore than I count on JandC. If it happens that's nice, if it doesn't well I will be using what I have or can get. What else is there to do? If you won the lottery would you develop a new paper or just buy someone out at a high cost? What happened to the last large roll of Azo paper? Who got it? At what price or politics? Who do you trust?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin