Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,039   Posts: 1,560,688   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I sent M&P a check for the Lodima paper in 8x10 and I'm trying to get the funds together for some 8x20 paper. I trust that M&P will get the Lodima to us. I've been using some of the 500 sheet Canadian grade 2 for my work and have picked up a few sheets of grade 3 but I am reluctant to use it up. Guess i should use the grade 3 up and see what it gives me. The Kentmere Bromide grade 3 is nice in Amidol and PPPD developers. Not quite on par with Azo but if I had to live with it I would. Just my two cents worth.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    David, how would you cope with hand coating living in an apartment? (looking to steal an idea here )
    Well, I'm managing with albumen in the apartment. I haven't yet tried coating silver choride paper at home. I just try to keep things organized to reduce setup time and so the bathroom can function as a bathroom when I'm not doing photographic things in there.

If I were coating silver gelatin paper as a matter of course in a small space, I think I'd build some kind of jig for it to hold the paper flat and square for use with a coating blade and it would permanently fixed in a tray to catch the runoff.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I am fortunate to have a good stock of 8 x 10 g2. I would have had more g3 but did not think the bottom would drop out the way it did. I bought 20 x 24 to fill the freezer and stopped there. I look forward to the Lodima paper!! If AZO did not have such a good shelf life I would not have stocked up the way I did. I think the AZO loss is the worst loss we have had as far as shrinking supplies go.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    What happened to the last large roll of Azo paper? Who got it? At what price or politics? Who do you trust?
    I placed my initial order for Azo, with M&P, the day before Kodak announced they were getting out of the B&W paper business. On that news, I immediately contacted Michael and requested a much larger order. He promised me the 500 sheet boxes of grade 2 & 3 and 3 boxes of 20x24 I ordered the prior day, but wasn't supportive of me ordering a couple thousand additional sheets of Azo. As it came to the fall of 2005, I started looking elsewere to build up a stash of Azo. I consider LF photography part of my retirement plan and since Azo would keep, I felt stocking up made sense.

B&H, Badger and Calumet all had 100 sheet boxes of grade 2, but a google search turned up two places, Unique Photo Supply in NJ and Discount Photo Club in Brooklyn that had 500 sheet boxes of grade 2. I can't remember which of these two vendors had it, but one of them also listed 500 sheet boxes of grade 3. Unfortunately, by the time I found them, the grade 3 was all sold and no more ever became available. I ordered 500 sheet boxes of grade 2 from each of these vendors. Discount Photo had it in stock, but Unique Photo had to order it from Kodak. Both suppliers came through on the grade 2.

During the summer of '05, I was high bidder on a 500 sheet box of OLD grade 2 Azo. The winning bid was over $500. Fortunate for me the seller dropped a note in with the paper asking me if I was interested in purchasing some more. He sold me two other 500 sheet boxes of old grade 2 Azo for $325 each. I felt I had won the lottery! In the October '05 time frame, Michael called me to say he had a couple 500 sheet boxes of grade 2 if I was still interested. I said sure, and asked him if he had any grade 3 available? He said yes, so I purchased a 500 sheet box.

One of the unforseen issues for a new 8x10 photographer was just how quickly you go through 100 sheets of paper. It seems so obvious, but compared to 4x5 you go through 4 times more paper just proofing your negatives. In September '06 Richard Ritter delivered my 7x17 camera and now it takes two sheets of 8x10 just to proof a negative. I do all of my proofing on the Canadian grade 2 and keep the Old grade 2 and the grade 3 for that 5% of negatives that deserve a fine print. I feel confident I have enough 8x10 Azo....well maybe a little more grade 3 would be handy. What I will need, and what I have on order with M&P, is 8x20 Lodima in grade 2 and grade 3 for those 7x17 negatives.

I've also tuned my TMY Pyrocat HD 2:2:100 negatives so they can take advantage of the Canadian Grade 2's long tonal scale.

Who bought up the grade 3? I haven't a clue, but obviously somebody or perhaps some group of folks got together and decided they needed to stock up.

Perhaps Curt said it best in the other post when he posted "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush." I guess that's how I feel about it. I intend to support M&P by purchasing 8x20 from them when if becomes available, but in the meantime, I've obviously made the decision to stock up while Azo was still available.

Thanks to the other posters for their observations and input and sorry if this post reads more like a blog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    well gang, I see Dagor 77 has just posted 2 500 sheet boxes of grade 4 Azo....

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post

...and we were thinking that the 11x14 sold for a high price, wait till you see these. I must say... I might have to take part in the bidding war for a box.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Good Grief! How long has that stuff been out of production?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    And does grade 4 have the keeping properties of the softer grades?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    And does grade 4 have the keeping properties of the softer grades?
    I don't believe as well. I've used some G4 in the past and it matched G3 nearly perfect. I still have about 15 sheets of it left. I also have some G1 that is of the same age, and that seems to still be about what G1 azo would look like.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, in spite of the fact that everyone is now out of the business of making silver chloride papers there is still an apparent high level of interest in the product, as evidenced by the demand for existing AZO stock and the willinginess of many to plop down a lot of money in the hope that Lodima will be a suitable substitute.

That being the case, I wonder why one of the few remaining players, Ilford for example, don't step up to the plate to satisfy the market with a high quality silver chloride paper? If anyone out there could make a good product it is Ilford.

Sandy King

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin