Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,463   Online: 945

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If michael and Paula had a life supplly do you think they would go to the expense and time to make lodima paper? No! I have a 1000 sheets of 8x10 Gr2 and the same in gr3. I have 500 sheets of 20x24 Gr2 for my 8x20. but my negatives are not contrasty enought to use the grade two. So Like most of you I have been trying different papers. Yes I just got to like forte and guess what ? maybe I should stop liking papers since the last three I liked are now no longer being made.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sandy, I have wondered the same thing. I asked Kentmere and they said something about coating issues and 'not enough demand'...let's hope Michael and Paula come through soon....

Not sure why Ilford hasn't looked into this....perhaps Simon can pitch in here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Well, in spite of the fact that everyone is now out of the business of making silver chloride papers there is still an apparent high level of interest in the product, as evidenced by the demand for existing AZO stock and the willinginess of many to plop down a lot of money in the hope that Lodima will be a suitable substitute.

That being the case, I wonder why one of the few remaining players, Ilford for example, don't step up to the plate to satisfy the market with a high quality silver chloride paper? If anyone out there could make a good product it is Ilford.

Sandy King
    Perhaps a poll (like the ULF interest on) showing what sizes, grades, and quantities folks were interested in would help. Obviously Simon was aware of the other poll and the group was able to influence the offering (e.g., w/ regard to 4x10). However, they are already making film and it is simply a custom cutting operation, engineering and manufacturing a new paper would seem to be a problem of much greater scope. I wonder if there really is market of sufficient size to make it economically sensible.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Large Format

Grade 4

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Good Grief! How long has that stuff been out of production?
    A quick search of the Azo forum indicates Kodak discontinued grade 4 sometime around 1997.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters View Post
    Sandy, I have wondered the same thing. I asked Kentmere and they said something about coating issues and 'not enough demand'...let's hope Michael and Paula come through soon....

Not sure why Ilford hasn't looked into this....perhaps Simon can pitch in here?
    I wonder if the coating issues are not related to the relatively thin stock that Michael and Paula like for their own work. I understand from PE that using stock this thin introduces some coating problems that would not exist with a thicker paper. I don't personally know why Michael and Paula prefer the single weight paper, but I personally would be much happier with a double weight paper.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think I read on the Azo Forum where Michael stated Grade 4 and grade 5 didn't have the same long shelf life as grade 2 and 3....then again it could have been here on APUG and PE who made that statement....I hate getting old!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I wonder if the coating issues are not related to the relatively thin stock that Michael and Paula like for their own work. I understand from PE that using stock this thin introduces some coating problems that would not exist with a thicker paper. I don't personally know why Michael and Paula prefer the single weight paper, but I personally would be much happier with a double weight paper.

Sandy
    I found that once I started using single weight that I liked it quite well. Going back to double weight seemed a bit cumbersome. But its not that big a deal to me. According to PE, the double weight is easier to run on the machines-far less scrap; and it can be run at much faster speeds.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The issues include the thin support, the tint of the support and the bad results that M&P have getten so far when they scaled it up. It apparently did not scale well in their chosen facility.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, if it's double weight or nothing....I would gladly settle for double weight...

PE, I am assuming that double weight would help mitigate some of these 'issues"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott;

It really depends a lot on paper quality, coating speed, applied 'wet' material, machine drying capacity. I just can't say for them how bad or good it might be.

I've said it before... It is like a high speed web of wet tissue paper running through a machine. (not that bad really, but not good)

Anyhow, tearoffs and other problems rise as thickness of the paper goes down, and thickness of the wet emulsion goes up.

PE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin