Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,107   Online: 978

Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone can make their own with a few simple ingredients and some equipment

Seriously, do you have a dvd, booklet or instructions that an average person use to make an AZO like paper with a few simple ingredients? Ron, can you estimate the setup cost for making paper and how much equipment and space is required for the coating of a run of paper?

These are a lot of questions but basic to the would be emulsion maker. It might be the time to get into chemistry while waiting for a paper from Michael. No affront but making your own paper would educate the user and in the end make them a better consumer.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Seriously Curt,
    Have you completely overlooked the emulsion making forum here in APUG?????? If you will go back and read older posts on up to the present posts, the method for making and coating (by hand) small batches of an AZO like paper have been thoroughly covered, including photo illustrations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, sorry I haven't seen it, I guess I'm stuck in my own fog. I'll go there and look.
    Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It takes 4 basic ingredients (including water) to make the 'raw' Azo emulsion. There are then 2 additional dopants to add depending on contrast grade (1,2,3,4) and 2 doctors to add before coating. The emulsion can be made in about 1 hour total time from start to finish.

This is why I am so confounded over all of what has been going on. I will say nothing further as I know that MAS is doing his very best to bring you a good product.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Ron for sharing all of your hard work with us.
    Curt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    In regards to payments and cashed and uncashed checks, what would be the point of cashing the checks immediately? Say they cashed the checks and invested it all in the R&D of this new paper, but it fell through? You could very well be out of luck. On the other hand, if they spend their own money on R&D, then spend all of your money on the production run, there'd be no waiting on their part for money for the run to come in, there'd be less waiting by you for the paper to get to your door.

Paula and I have been traveling. Many days without Internet access.

No time to respond to everything.

Brief update: the silver chloride paper project is making headway. We expect to be tresting another sample soon after we return home. Things look good, but we will not allow a product to be brought to the market unless it is at least as good as the paper it is replacing.

Yes, you can make your own emulsion. But that is not realistic if you make more than a few negatives every few months.

Silver chloride emulsions are the simplest type of emulsion to make, but making it on a large scale is a serious undertaking and in the scaling up of the formula problems arise that are not there when only a few sheets are made.

Paula and I ask for your continued patience. With any luck we could possibly have paper by spring of this year.

There are other fine papers out there, but to our eyes, and to those of many others, prints on silver chloride paper have a depth to them that is simply not there, or is only very rarely there, when enlarging paper is used. Any artist wants to use the finest materials they can, those materials that allow for the deepest expression. All of Edward Weston's prints were made on silver chloride paper. Ansel Adams' and Brett Weston's best prints (Ansel's from the late 1930s and early 1940s, and Brett's prints until he begain making enlargements) were all made on silver chloride paper. Those who know these prints and who also know other prints will readily see the difference. Some may prefer looking at prints on enlarging paper. Paula and I prefer prints made on silver chloride paper. Does the paper make the art? Yes and no. Vision comes first, always. But great vision that is realized on inferior materials will not yield a work of art as deep as great vision realized on superior materials.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thank you Michael.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    " Any artist wants to use the finest materials they can, those materials that allow for the deepest expression. All of Edward Weston's prints were made on silver chloride paper." Michael

In one of his daybook, wasn't he bemoaning the loss of platinum paper and then had to switsh to azo?

" If you?re keeping score, you can take out your pencil and scratch in a new record price for Edward Weston. On Wednesday night at Sotheby?s in New York, a rare platinum print of Weston?s ?The Ascent of Angles,? from 1921, sold for $824,000. That just beat out the $822,400 paid in 2005 for a platinum print of Weston?s ?The Breast.? Appraiser and consultant Dale Schultz made the winning bid for ?Ascent? on behalf of an anonymous buyer."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but did Azo have cadmium in it? If so, how much of a long-term shelf-life reduction are we likely to see with Lodima compared to Azo? I know it will generally be very stable b/c it's a slow ag-cl paper. But I was just curious.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin