Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,103   Online: 1187

Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6465051525354555657 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I told you it would get to France sooner than Washington State!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The card was verified and it went through, the exp. date had changed, now for the wait and daily mail check.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Curt,
    Don't bother checking the mail, these books ship UPS.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received the Oregon book today and it's just as fine as the others in the series, it came via USPS.

Looking at image #9 it appears to be presented up-side-down. The wigwam burner photo is one that I haven't seen before, I have seen another view in other books, I wonder how many different views he took of it. In fact I wonder what's in the archive that we will never see. It's too bad they just keep them in storage and don't show them all and the few they do are few and far between. That's one reason I signed up for the portfolio series. With his 100Th birthday anniversary coming up this next year I wonder why there is only one show in Colorado, that's sad.

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Curt,

Yes! When I looked at image #9, I thought "this is weird." It took me a few moments to really look at the image and determine it was upside down. I sent a PM to MAS about it, but he never responded.

I'm glad our book arrived in time for the holidays. These books are real treasures!
    John
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't it funny that photo #9, I remember reading that once he said his photographs could be viewed right side up or right side down and laughed. When I first saw it I started to look closer at the details but it didn't make sense, then I looked for the lighting to give it away and there I was with the book upside down and it all made sense. Now that's not a detraction from the image, I really like it, it fits with his work. Very interesting though and maybe someone will give an explanation for it, someone with an original portfolio.

Curt

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds interesting!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Curt,

Yes! When I looked at image #9, I thought "this is weird." It took me a few moments to really look at the image and determine it was upside down. I sent a PM to MAS about it, but he never responded.
    He never responds to PMs. You have to email him at michaelandpaula@michaelandpaula.com, which I have done to alert him to this thread.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 12-27-2010 at 10:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jim

c6h6o3 alerted me to where this thread is now. Yes, it is always much better to send me an email rather than a PM. I rarely get to the PMs.

Paula and I looked carefully at Plate #9 in Oregon. The reproduction is right side up. it is NOT upside down.

We have had questions about a number of Brett Weston's photographs and always check them out thoroughly by looking at the original mounted print. If Brett mounted one upside down, then we will reproduce it that way, although I do not believe he ever did that. At least he had not at the time when I looked through every single photograph he had ever made—a couple of hundred or more every day for a month.

Michael A. Smith
    Publisher
    Lodima Press

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Isn't it funny that photo #9, I remember reading that once he said his photographs could be viewed right side up or right side down and laughed. When I first saw it I started to look closer at the details but it didn't make sense, then I looked for the lighting to give it away and there I was with the book upside down and it all made sense. Now that's not a detraction from the image, I really like it, it fits with his work. Very interesting though and maybe someone will give an explanation for it, someone with an original portfolio.

Curt
    I don't have the book to view photo #9. Is it perhaps of Rock Forms, 1970?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin