Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,153   Online: 980

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Vacuum frame for 7x17 under a Durst 138S

Can someone suggest a vacuum frame (make, model and source) large enough to make contact prints on 8x18 inch paper? I would like it small enough to fit under a Durst 138S enlarger converted to 8x10. The frame can either be stand alone or sit on the enlarger table. This will allow me to use the enlarger’s light source, f stop control and contrast filters.

Thanks for your thoughts,

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will this be for alternative or standard negative projection? Your light source re speed of the materials? Heat and its exhausting. Noise and vibration of vacuum motor?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Clueless;417052]Will this be for alternative or standard negative projection?
    Standard negative projection

Your light source re speed of the materials?
    Light source is a 12x12 Aristo Cold Light head
    Materials Kentmere Fineprint FB VC cut to 8x18 inch, don't know speed.

Heat and its exhausting.
    No significant heat from Aristo Cold Light
    Normal darkroom exhaust , two Panasonic 120cfm whisper fans in outer wall.

Noise and vibration of vacuum motor?
    I have shooter's head phones or possibly I can mount the motor outside of the 11x13 foot darkroom. That will depend on what is available.

My alternatives to date have been 1)a sheet of glass
    and 2) a contact print frame very nicely made by Bill Schwab.
    #2 is very good but for volume printing the springs are a little rough on my arthritic hands.

Thank you for your input.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 01-13-2007 at 06:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    From Kenmere Fineprint Technical Specs:
    "When exposed to unfiltered white light Fineprint VC has a speed of ISO P 640 and has a contrast of approximately grade 2.
    When exposed using Ilford Multigrade filters grades 00 - 3½ have the same speed (ISO P 320) and grades 4 - 5 require approximately twice the exposure (ISO P 160)."

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Vacuum motor noise?....lol...you're kidding right? Turn up the stereo. John, don't you already have a table top plate burner? If I remember correctly I think it is an AmerGraph, right? Anyway they are almost identical to my NuArc 26 1k. Here's what you do. On the back of the unit there is 4 screws that will take the light unit off of the vacuum frame. Remove the 4 screws and brackets and sit the light integrator on a table right next to your enlarger that will have the vacuum frame positioned over your enlarger board. In other words you split your unit and sit the two side by side with the vacuum frame positioned under the enlarger. No need to buy anything you already have what you need.The control for the vacuum will be right there at your finger tips Or ...Take two aspirins and load that nice print frame up.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    load that nice print frame up.
    You lost me there. Why would I put the print frame (you are talking about Bill Schwab's aren't you) in the vacuum frame? Won't the vacuum frame hold the negative and print paper together? Isn't that it's purpose?

Tearing apart the Amerigraph and setting it up in the darkroom temporarily is a little easier in print than in practice.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John, What I was saying was set up the Amerigraph or Just use the print frame. Not one inside the other. If the amerigraph is put together like the NuArc. It takes about 5 min to separate the light integrator form the vacuum frame. If you lift it off the brackets and sit it right next to the vacuum frame you probably wouldn't even need to unplug the vacuum hose (but I would unplug it just to be safe) Now you could get inventive and set it up side by side on a table built low enough on casters (use the ones that lock) so you could roll it into place to use it then out of the way when not in use. Then if you ever want to start alternative process printing you can easily put it back together. It is only 4 screws. Just an idea.....P.S. The two aspirins are for your arthritic hands if you decide to use the print frame.
    Last edited by RobertP; 01-13-2007 at 09:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin