Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 670

Thread: Proof Sheets

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Proof Sheets

I got a 11x14" piece of glass at the home depot to make proof sheets from 35mm. It sort of works, but it's not very heavy so the proof sheets come out a little fuzzy. I looked at an arts supply store and they didn't have anything heavier. Where can I find a heavier sheet of glass for this purpose?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Instead of a sheet of glass, try a proofer with a foam pad and a clip or a contact printer with a spring back.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Print file custom negative proofer - $38.95 at B&H is one option. I consider mine worth the investment for convenience.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can get 1/4" plate glass cut at a glass supplier. A good place will even grind the edges so you don't cut yourself. As I recall, the last one I bought was less than $20.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had the same problem with my setup which is similar to yours. I just flatten my negatives after they dried, and I give a good pressure to the proof sheet sandwich before I expose. I use a big foam piece underneath my glass to allow me to give a good initial pressure.

One funny thing I noticed was that once I used Ilford RC in pearl finish and because of the irregular surface, the vacuum created by the pressure on the glass plate would not last long enough. I stick to glossy finish for a better vacuum effect.

Somewhere down my buying list is a printfile proofer, but for now I can live with more hassle.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    You can get 1/4" plate glass cut at a glass supplier. A good place will even grind the edges so you don't cut yourself. As I recall, the last one I bought was less than $20.
    YES!

i have been using just this and it works great

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a home-made proofer that works very well for me. A sheet of plywood with rubber feet, black flannel on the print side, a sheet of glass attached using a duct tape (!) hinge.

The glass that I use is automotive windshield glass - two sheets of glass bonded together with a layer of clear plastic adhesive. Reasonably clear optically, and very heavy. Also, unfortunately, very tough to cut.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a home-made proofer that works very well for me. A sheet of plywood with rubber feet, black flannel on the print side, a sheet of glass attached using a duct tape (!) hinge.
    Sounds exactly like what I use at school. What exactly is the point of the bottom part?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin