Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,780   Online: 1031

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy,

How do you think folks will make these digital negatives?
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    In speaking with the Kentmere folks, I asked the same question, why not a silver chloride paper...they said, they looked into "AZO papers but it would have taken a huge amount of work to adapt "our" old formulation to use modern raw materials (we last made it over 22 years ago). Regrettably the volumes were insufficient to justify such a project". So, there is one response.

Not sure what Ilfords would be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters View Post
    Not sure what Ilfords would be.
    I think Simon Galley answered that question here a while back with pretty much the same answer.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    What I am wondering is this.

Assume that Kodak gave Ilford the AZO formula and they do a run of Ilford AZO.
    Sandy King
    IIRC, MAS mentioned at last years Silver Conference in his quest to find a producer for azo substitute that his calls to Ilford went unanswered.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure that Ilford has a chloride contact paper formula and would be glad to produce it under contract.

I don't wish to speak for them, but I do know that both Ilford and Agfa produced chloride papers in the not so distant past, but when the market dried up only Kodak chose to continue. The earliest Agfa paper was called Lupex. It was almost identical to Azo.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I'm sure that Ilford has a chloride contact paper formula and would be glad to produce it under contract.

I don't wish to speak for them, but I do know that both Ilford and Agfa produced chloride papers in the not so distant past, but when the market dried up only Kodak chose to continue. The earliest Agfa paper was called Lupex. It was almost identical to Azo.

PE
    PE,

I take that to mean that in your opinion, *if* Ilford did elect to produce a silver chloride paper it could be made with similar characteristics to AZO?

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skillian View Post
    Sandy,

How do you think folks will make these digital negatives?
    Now, now, don't draw me into a digital discussion on APUG.

There is a hybrid site, an off shoot of the gray area that used to be here, where such topics can be discussed.

Sandy

Yes, there is a lot of art in making any paper. A few stories about this are detailed on the Azo Forum and in our current newsletter (at www.michaelandpaula.com) and in my other writing. PE, however, doubtless knows much more about this aspect of things than I do.

Kodak will not license the formula. They claim they do not even have the formula. We have a formula. The paper is being made. The economics are poor. We have a lot of pre-orders--a lot of them--but they do not begin to come up to minimum quantity requirements for two grades. They do not even come up to minimum quantity requirements for one grade. Which is why Paula and I wil be pouring a lot of our own money into this--hard-won money, I might add. It is not that we have anything extra--we do not--no investments, savings, health insurance, etc. (we are not complaining here). The work is the most important thing and we feel we have our priorities straight. And yes, we are willing to go out on a limb financially because we, too, need the paper. And we probably use more of it than anyone else. I cannot imagine a real company sinking money into this on spec. Real companies want to make a profit. We just want the paper.

It amazes me that folks who have used perhaps one or two boxes of paper talk as if they are experts. But that is one of the problems with Internet Forums--you often do not know the expertise of those giving advice or suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    PE,

I take that to mean that in your opinion, *if* Ilford did elect to produce a silver chloride paper it could be made with similar characteristics to AZO?

Sandy

This is correct Sandy.

In fact, this was even true of Kodak with the last batch. They could only make an Azo like paper. My paper is 'like' Azo as well in terms of characteristic curve and speed (see Alex's review), as well as image tone, but it is on different paper and has different spectral sensitivity to name two of its differences.

So even what Michael proposes will give us an Azo like paper. I'm sure that they will give us only the best though. Their efforts should be applauded by us all.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If we're lucky, maybe they could give us a Haloid Industro like paper.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin