Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,284   Online: 724

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

paper negs

There was a really great article in View Camera magazine about doing this. I know I have it somewhere but maybe someone here can find it. The guy was using Agfa paper for the negs.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One problem with using paper negatives is that the contrast of the mid scale of a grade 2 paper is about 2.0 compared to a negative film which is about 0.6. Even considering the reduction in contrast by printing through the 'negative' you can get unacceptable contrast.

Another problem is that if you use a VC paper, the contrast of each color record will vary due to the spectral sensitivity of the imaging layers. You will have a low contrast image, a high contrast image and a medium mixed image scale.

I rate most enlarging papers at either 12 or 25 depending. I cut the paper to fit an old polaroid film pack and expose in my Mamiya, or I cut it 4x5 and expose in my 4x5 camera. It does work well, but you have to accept some compromises such as those above.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I've done it a bit - just played aroung at the times were I wasn't used to real film (in LF)
    these examples are taken with an ooold 18x24cm oak tree camera.

I made contact prints from them. The amazing thinf in this is - as I see it - it looks like the white in the eyes tend to get even whiter than "real life", which is great, as you then can do dark images and still have the "look" so to speak..

I have only tries nature a couple of times so portraits are the area with my biggest experience..
    have a look-see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails papernegs.jpg  

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Adox Vario G(in stock at J&C) is(reportedly) Efke Varycon

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And Varycon is great for paper negs - the slackest blacks you can find
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin