Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 1004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once AZO is gone all there will only be contact printing on enlarging papers for those not interested in platinum, kallitype and other alternative processes. So I imagine there will be growing interest in using other available papers and methods for silver gelatin contact prints.

8x10 can easily be contact printed (maybe 11x14) with any 4x5 enlarger that is set up to use varible contrast filters. To print bigger or without an enlarger you would only need a light source (bulb, LED array, flourescent) that is color balanced for filters, build a simple housing to hold light source and filters under the bulb and you are set. You would need to use large theatre gels, 6" or 8", from someone like Rosco. They make filters that are direct matches or close equivalents to the standard Kodak/Ilford variable contrast filters.

There are all kinds of other techniques for contrast control applicable to contact prints that would be tailored to using VC paper. One could use an over mask of clear film in register with the neg and dodge areas with graphite or translucent color washes that would work the same as filtration for specific areas of the negative.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I contact print on VC paper using a 5W night-light bulb in a reflector, positioned a few feet above my contact prining frame. I just tape my Ilford gels below the light bulb...nothing fancy but it works fine. I use Scotch brand "magic" tape as it releases from the gels without leaving anything behind. (These are the gels that are normally placed above the negative in my Omega D2V enlarger head...I'm not sure of the size but they are the larger of the two sizes that Ilford sold as a complete set.)

It's a simple way to contact print negatives that I've developed for Azo in Pyrocat-HD onto normal enlarging paper, and I've not had any problems so far with this setup. The negatives print surprisingly well on VC fiber paper. They don't look like Azo (what does?) but they have a look all their own that I find pleasing.

I prefer using a reflector to using the enlarger (which, by the way, also works fine) because I find it a little easier to dodge and burn if I stand up and move around to all sides of the negative/paper sandwich. Just a personal preference that works for me...ymmv

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I contact print on VC paper using a 5W night-light bulb in a reflector, positioned a few feet above my contact prining frame.
    SNIP

I prefer using a reflector to using the enlarger (which, by the way, also works fine) because I find it a little easier to dodge and burn if I stand up and move around to all sides of the negative/paper sandwich. Just a personal preference that works for me...ymmv

Be well.
    Dave
    Under normal conditions what exposure times do you use with the 5W bulb?

Yes, Azo is gone (although we do have a lot of Grade 2 still available), but a new paper will be made in grade 2 and grade 3. It will be made soon. I am traveling now, but when I have a few minutes I will make a posting about it. And for those who use 11x14, the new paper will come in that size as well as in 8x10 and 20x24.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin