Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,783   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I contact print 8x10s with graded paper only using a light bulb as I do not own an enlarger. Graded paper is getting rarer by the day it seems and I may go into variable contrast territory to make up for the loss of some good papers.

If you are now doing this very procedure, can you tell me how you have set up your filters? Any other issues I should know about?

Thanks

Daniel

Shooter
    Large Format
    You must be about the only other guy buying graded paper with me.....

I use an enlarger for my contact prints with graded paper. Oriental to be exact. This is a great paper and I dont think it will be going away soon. I have printed with Ilford multigrade warmtone FB and the results were also very pleasing. I have a VC ZOne VI cold head so my settings would not help you, but I think a light bulb should give you an approximate grade 2.
    after that I dont know what to tell you. Maybe buy a premier safelight where you can remove the filter and replace it with gels. The premier safe light is about 5x7, I think you can still get Ilford gels in this size. If not get the biggest you can and make a mask for the remainder space. To place the gel I would cut a piece of translucent plexiglass and tape the gel on the outside, The part not covered by the gel I would mask with balck of rubylith.
    later.............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey Jorge, is your 8x10 head totally exposed for the contact prints? Or do you have the light projected through a lens onto the paper? Just curious, Sean

Graded paper and you use a light bulb. Why not use Azo? It has the longest scale--more gray steps than enlarging papers, has great, deep blacks, and in short delivers the best prints that any negatives are capable of, and with less effort. I know my opinion is not universally shared (Jorge prefers Platinum/Palladium prints), but Azo certainly produces the finest silver prints the medium is capable of.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually Michael I think this is an excellent suggestion for this member, thank you for reminding me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    [i]Hey Jorge, is your 8x10 head totally exposed for the contact prints? Or do you have the light projected through a lens onto the paper? Just curious, Sean[/ i]

I have the light projected onto the paper.

With VC papers you'll be using a really low wattage light bulb, maybe 7.5 or 15 watts. So just make a "box" out of foam core to go around the light socket, with an open bottom sized to fit variable contrast acetate filters. Works fine. Insignificant heat build up during a normal 20 second exposure. Azo with a 300 watt bulb (without the box!&#33 is another good choice with some contrast control available during development. The VC papers will give a big range of contrast grades and various print color and surface choices, along with a wide variety of toning responses. Sensible to have the full set of options available.---Carl

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello everyone,

As I will shoot my first 4x5 this weekend I was wondering if I am oversimplifying thing by thinking that I can use my colorhead LPL enlarger to make a contact print on MG paper and control the contrast with the filter unit in my enlarger? Closing down the aperture to control length of exposure?

Kind regards from a 4x5 newbie..

Shooter
    Large Format
    This may be taking this thread off topic...and if it is then I apologize...

I have been thinking along the lines of building an exposure unit for exposing VC paper for contact printing. Is there a need for something like this for those who do not own enlarging equipment?

My thoughts are to provide filtration to match contrast grade and or split printing.

I will be guided by your thoughts on this.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Graded paper and you use a light bulb. Why not use Azo? It has the longest scale--more gray steps than enlarging papers, has great, deep blacks, and in short delivers the best prints that any negatives are capable of, and with less effort. I know my opinion is not universally shared (Jorge prefers Platinum/Palladium prints), but Azo certainly produces the finest silver prints the medium is capable of.
    Michael, I'd love to try AZO. It is one of the main reasons I started shooting 11x14, unfortunently days before I was ready to place my first order......well I think were all aware of the current Kodak situation.

I'm now using Kentmere bromide paper in grade 2 and 3, Its way better than the enlargments I was making but I still would like to sample AZO. Is there any update on the new paper in development?

Donald, I would have a use for a device that you describe. I was building one in my head all day at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin