Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,860   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Help for a NuArc Vacuum Frame

Hello Friends,

I was able to purchase a used NuArc VFC22 vacuum frame and the rubber mat has some cracked edges. I don't own a pump yet for it but I am sure that it will not hold suction too well based on these cracks. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a replacement mat.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fe6b_1.JPG  

Shooter
    Large Format
    The last I checked, Nuarc was still in business and offered support on their product line...provided it wasn't an obsolete item. Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Olson View Post
    Hello Friends,

I was able to purchase a used NuArc VFC22 vacuum frame and the rubber mat has some cracked edges. I don't own a pump yet for it but I am sure that it will not hold suction too well based on these cracks. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a replacement mat.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Rick....I might be able to help. I have a NuArc base with a mat. No pump. Let me know your size and I will take a close look at it and see if it would work for you.

Tav Walraven

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's the same one I use. You should be able to get parts from NuArc. As for the vacuum pump, the standard is a GAST pump (GAST Manufacturing). You should be able to get that from NuArc, too or from GAST. I will go home tonight and see if I can come up with the correct make and model pump. You will also need a vacuum gauge that can be mounted on a tee connection on the upper right corner of the frame. A length of flexible hose between the pump and the frame and you are ready for business.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Didn't get into the back of the darkroom until this morning. Here is the info promised.

Gast Model 0211-V138-G8CX is on the GAST nameplate.

The NuArc nameplate reads M35.

There was no information on make or manufacturer of the vacuum gauge. It was a simple zero to 35" of mercury gauge.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hello Tav,

The model shows 17" x 22". I have it packed back up for my pending move to Denver ...

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the details on the pump type.

Rick

Order the pump from granger or similar company. It is indeed a Gast pump. We have 4 large ones here at work. Ordering from a industrial company will save you about 75% of the price! From experience. Once you get one the Gast pump lasts forever. I only replace one of the four and the rest are over 20 years old and work fine. Each one has an obscene number of exposures on them as we a printing company and before the days of computers used them exclusively all day everyday. Doing some 4/c catalog compositing I have many a 6+ hour day one those pumps. NuArc may have the vacuum bed your looking for but from what I see they are not the same company they were 10+ years ago. They dropped most of their product line in the merger/takeover.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are unable to get the frame to hold a vacuum, you can still use it. Just put a few sheets of mat board down on the rubber mat, put your paper and negative on top, and close the glass. The mat board takes up the extra space, so the frame will act as a large contact printing frame.
    juan

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    If you are unable to get the frame to hold a vacuum, you can still use it. Just put a few sheets of mat board down on the rubber mat, put your paper and negative on top, and close the glass. The mat board takes up the extra space, so the frame will act as a large contact printing frame.
    juan
    My Nuarc frame was uneven and the rubber gasket would not seal. When I pressed down on the glass frame and found out what side was low, I actually used masking tape as quasi shim material under the gasket edge that screws down to get the glass to sit level under the and allow the frame to make a seal. Works like a champ. I went to an auto supply store to get hose and a bleeder valve to put in the supply line that I can use to take off the vacuum and open the frame.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks all ... I think I will modify the cracked base that I have, as a replacement is over $300.00. I am sure I can patch it up as some of you have suggested.

Rick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin