Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,690   Online: 716

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No, I have gotten into the habit of not making contact sheets at all with my 8x10 negs.

1) I use alt processes and my negs are usually too contrasty for silver geletin paper -- they look like crap.

2) After 30 years of looking at negatives, I have found my brain inverts them to positives anyway.

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=Sparky;447351] Just wondering if others use a scanner to make their contact sheets...[QUOTE]

Yes, I've been doing it for years. I've even done a couple of articles about it: Shutterbug and AP, as far as I recall, but it's so long ago I've forgotten. What I like is the 'enlarged contact' (as David points out, they ain't contacts anyway) on A3.

A lot depends on what you think contacts are for. If they're just for reference, inkjets are fine, though they're a bit of a let-down when you put a loupe on them...

In fact, I sometimes even play with the image on screen: crop, dodge, burn, whatever. Of course it looks nothing like a silver halide print -- but if you're briefing a printer (Frances does almost all my printing) it's very useful.

To anyone who says, "You have to do your own printing," I'll add: yes, but I taught Frances to print, then she got better than I did...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the "ring around" that is provided with the Canon pro 9000 and Photoshop CS2 a great way of exploring various interpretations of my negatives. It has become a far cheaper method than using precious fibre paper, that here in Oman is rather hard to get.
    Unfortunately, B&W is viewed along with 'wind-up gramophones' as antique!

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    ... Just wondering if others use a scanner to make their contact sheets...
    I did this from time to time, but what I realized was, that after a scan I found more dust on my negatives than after working with them for several hours in my darkroom. Now I inspect them on a light table and those that seem worth a closer look are enlarged on 4x6 (135) or on 7x9.4 (120).

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rst View Post
    I did this from time to time, but what I realized was, that after a scan I found more dust on my negatives than after working with them for several hours in my darkroom. ).
    -- Ruediger
    Dear Ruediger,

I always scan 'em in the sleeves (PrintFile) for this very reason.

Cheers,

R.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    ... I always scan 'em in the sleeves (PrintFile) for this very reason.
    Ahhh, thanks Roger, I used the film scanning possibility (with film holder) of my flatbed scanner - which is overkill just for a "contact" sheet. The idea with just scanning them in sleeves is good.

However, I enjoy looking at the negatives and since I sit in front of a computer all the day ... for me, every minute spent in the darkroom is more exciting.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No I don't own a scanner.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Ruediger,

I always scan 'em in the sleeves (PrintFile) for this very reason.

Cheers,

R.
    This is the way that I do it as well. I bought a cheap picture frame and use the glass to hold the negatives flat in the scanner. I wouldn't ever print from the scans, but it's a great way to check composition and especially facial expressions on portraits. I use the scans to determine which negatives aren't worth the effort to print which helps because I always have very limited time in my temporary darkroom.

Peter
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've been scaning/proofing my negatives for about ten years now.

I also built a small website running locally to display the images. I use that instead of proof books now because the proof books were starting to take up too much room. Now the proof sites with low res scans can all be housed on a DVD instead of the proof books which needed a bookcase.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use XnView (shareware) to make proofs, rather than Photoshop -- I can stack the images closer together and have more control over the printed note info. I save the proofs as print-res PDFs and print them in bulk at a copy place.

I used to do this for my digi stuff too --good to have at least SOMEthing on paper -- but eventually to volume overwhelmed me.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin