Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,782   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amidol

The use of a metronome when printing will yield much more precise results than using a timer, especially when dodging and burning-in.

The developer we use is a fast acting one--one you want with Azo. Developing for more than one minute is not recommended. With our formula, a one or two second difference in the devleping time will yield different results. That is very precise. And easy, really. I would not print like this if it were not easy.

Michael A. Smith

I noticed someone mentioned that Amidol was "unstable." It is not; in fact it last longer than a tray of Dektol. There is a complete thread about this on the Azo Forum and it is discussed it in one of my articles on Azo.

Michael A. Smith
    www.michaelandpaula.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used Cole Weston's formula up to two weeks after making it. At two weeks the first print got some pink goop on it, so I dumped it.
    art is about managing compromise

After having a nice phone conversation with Michael Smith last night, I decided to try his formula in todays printing session. Michael commented that my exposure times might be too long, leading to a certain uncontrollability in the developer.

I shortened my exposure times and used a timer to accurately monitor the time in the developer. I must say, things went MUCH better than in the past. The average time for the image to start appearing was about 10 seconds, and I averaged between 30 and 40 seconds in the developer and the remainder of the one minute development time was in the water bath.

So, now I've got the hang of Michaels amidol formula, but am out of paper...the next shipment is hopefully on it's way :-)
    - William Levitt

As we discussed on the phone, William, many things can be imprecise about photography, but there are some things that must be exact. The developing time for Azo in Amidol, using my formula, is one of them. A minute is a minute. Not 61 seconds. Yes, an additional second will make a noticeable difference. From your post I got the feeling that you think that using a water bath is always necessary. It is not. I probably only use one about one out of every 20 prints.

Michael A. Smith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin