Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,844   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm just curious how much cost is involved with platinum printing. What is the typical cost of making your own sheet of 8x10 platinum paper? Thanks! Sean

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would say each sheet is about 5 to 7 bucks depending on how much pt/pd you use, the paper etc. Typically a sheet of 8x10 requires about 18 to 24 drops of sensitizer, half ferric oxalate and half a combination of pt/pd.
    The paper is expensive. So if you include all the little gizmos you need etc you end up with this aproximate amount.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am very impressed with the Van Dykes on the unblinkingeye site. If I was going to try out an inexpensive alt process, this would be the one...
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html

--Aaorn
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is another link buried on the site...
    http://unblinkingeye.com/AAPG/VDB/vdb.html
    I am particularily partial to the gold toned van dykes, they have a gray color that I really like. I wonder if it is possible to get that tone on a silver gelatine paper ....

--Aaron

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have never tried VDB so I am unable to say if it is easy or not, but another good and inexpensive alt method is salted prints, and it is easy to do. The only draw back it has is that it is more difficult to modify contrast, so in this case you do need a 'perfect" negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    definitly.....heed my advice dont be dumb like me and start with the cheaper processes...if you calibrate your negs and exposure times, if you decide to jump into pt/pd you will find it a lot easier. I think the VDB sounds like a great process......

Pt/Pd materials should be a bit cheaper than Jorge indicates. It takes about a ml of metal solution for each 8x10. 5 grams of palladium chloride from ArtCraft costs around $85 dollars and makes about 58 ml. So 1.50 for palladium, .15 or so for ferric, anywhere from .33 to 1.00 for a sheet of good paper, and you use up a small amount of developer with each print: I figure $3.00 or less per 8x10 unit. It may be hard to match these prices in Mexico, of course.

Kallitype toned with palladium or platinum can be a lovely process that looks as good as (sometimes better than) Pt/Pd and uses about 1/6 as much expensive metal. The Kalli chemicals are practically free. The downside is that the wet processing is much more elaborate and time consuming than platinum, and I've had persistent streaking trouble with large prints. The same negatives work for both processes. Kalli could be a great way to ease in to eventual printing in platinum.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well there you have it, straight from the horses mouth as it were... . The one comment I have to make is that Carl is very experienced and has the coating down pat. It takes me about 1.8 ml for an 8x10 thus my cost is greater. OTOH I am inexperienced and hope to get more efficient with time. To start is better to put a little bit more than not enough and ruin the print.

I was reading last night about Kallitype and it does sound like a great process also. Since I have not done it I cannot comment but if Carl recommends it I am now very curious.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jdef,
    as a parent of young children the thing that I lack most is time, which is one of the reasons I have narrowed my focus to contact printing and azo/amidol. I admire pt/palladium and Van Dyke, but only have time for what I am now doing.

--Aaron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great advice guys, thanks! I'm sure when the time comes to actually try this process, I'll have many more questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin