Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,146   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    woa...hold on! Dave Miller made a working formula that is far better than what I posted here. I beleive he posted it in the AZO forum. He had at one time examples of this formula in the galleries, but I think he has removed them, not sure.
    I would say you first visit the AZO site and look for the formula and contact Dave before you re invent the wheel. Since I dont use AZO I do not know how the prints compare to those developed in Amidol. OTOH the .dr5 guy mentioned other compound that might be worth a try.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Donald Miller posted an article on Pyro Plus Paper Developer on the UnBlinking Eye website. I wonder if others have tried his formulae on AZO, and what were the results?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Donald Miller posted an article on Pyro Plus Paper Developer on the UnBlinking Eye website. I wonder if others have tried his formulae on AZO, and what were the results?
    I have an order in for the chemicals I need to add to my cupboard for Donald Miller's formula...should have them early this week. One of the reasons I mentioned trying the formula Jorge was kind enough to share is that everything in his formula is also in Donal Miller's formula, so I'll have the ingredients for both. Hopefully by the end of the week or early next week I'll have had time to try them both, and the opportunity to compare and contrast them with Michael Smith's Amidol.

I have no specific expectations of either formula, but Donald Miller's formula caught my interest a few weeks ago, and when I noticed that the formula Jorge shared with us could be made from some of the ingredients I have coming in, I figured it'd be worth a few minutes time to compare the two. For me, this isn't about finding a substitute for Amidol or for finding an easier/cheaper alternative...it's just about experimenting to add to my knowledge of things photographic. Being in the darkroom still makes me feel like a little kid inside.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mixed and tested Donald Miller's formula. I mixed stock concentrates of the ingredients in propylene glycol and combined them to make the working developer.

The developer worked well and produced good blacks. However, IMO it did not produce the 3 dimensional tonal effects that MS Amidol produces. I have not yet tried it in water bath development (the negs I've been printing don't require it).

All in all, PPPD is a worthy developer (like Ansco 130), but for Azo contact prints, I still prefer MS Amidol.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    I've tried it and and am using a variation it of regularly. Here's what I have determined:
    1) Agree with Tom, by itself, it does not produce the 3-D effect amidol does.
    2) If you use a water bath, you need to agitate a little bit to prevent mottling, especially in sky areas. This may really be a characteristic of the current Azo. Michael Smith has reported the same problem. Just a little slosh will prevent the mottling.
    3) I add 3 grams citric acid per liter to the mixture as a preservative. This seems to work well. I have kept a mixed solution for up to two weeks and it still worked.

I'm having worthy results using a split bath of Agfa Neutol WA, followed by water bath, followed by PPPD using all catechol - no pyro. Hard to discern a difference between this and amidol.

The only real reason I switched to this is because I ran out of budget money for amidol. I'd prefer amidol because its so easy to work with and produces the best results. But, this split bath combo is very very close.
    Last edited by Alex Hawley; 01-31-2005 at 09:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    I've tried and and am using a variation of regularly. Here's what I have determined:
    1) Agree with Tom, by itself, it does not produce the 3-D effect amidol does.
    2) If you use a water bath, you need to agitate a little bit to prevent mottling, especially in sky areas. This may really be a characteristic of the current Azo. Michael Smith has reported the same problem. Just a little slosh will prevent the mottling.
    3) I add 3 grams citric acid per liter to the mixture as a preservative. This seems to work well. I have kept a mixed solution for up to two weeks and it still worked.

I'm having worthy results using a split bath of Agfa Neutol WA, followed by water bath, followed by PPPD using all catechol - no pyro. Hard to discern a difference between this and amidol.

The only real reason I switched to this is because I ran out of budget money for amidol. I'd prefer amidol because its so easy to work with and produces the best results. But, this split bath combo is very very close.
    Good stuff, Alex!

In your split bath process; are you replacing the pyro 1:1 with catechol?
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I'd prefer amidol because its so easy to work with and produces the best results."

This is what I was interested in. If the results with Amidol are visually better why use anything less? Eat the cost difference & use the creativity in your photographs rather than in exploring formulas. It is fun to explore but at some point you have to decide if fine prints are the goal or experimenting with chemical formulas are what you are really after.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing wrong with looking at alternatives to Amidol.

Some folks don't want to deal with the Amidol chemical safety requirements (i.e. handling of the dry chemical). In addition, there have been some quality control problems with recently manufactured lots of Amidol (when used in photographic developer applications).

I don't have any problem safely handling dry Amidol. If Greg's large quantity buy of tested Chinese Amidol is successful, that will solve the Amidol availability problem for me for the foreseeable future.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Good stuff, Alex!

In your split bath process; are you replacing the pyro 1:1 with catechol?
    Yes Tom, the portion of pyro is replaced with catechol. Credit has to go to Francesco for the technique. All I did was use the PPPD catechol solution in place of the Moersch catechol he uses.

The second benefit of this technique is that it produces a slight warm tone. It looks cold coming out of the fixer, but dries warm. I tried it with the original PPPD formula, but the result was too warm for my taste.

Why use anything but amidol? Well, for me, its simply the expense. Michael and Paula say they get about 50 prints out of a batch. That's a lot of prints in one day, but that's their livelyhood. I'm lucky to make 10 to 15 prints in one day and that's a fair day's work. Plus, Francesco and I both swear there's nary a perceptable difference using the Neutol/Catechol technique unless one has a really trained eye. No one's complained about any of my prints yet for not always using amidol. I don't think Francesco has gotten any criticism either.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    "I'd prefer amidol because its so easy to work with and produces the best results."

This is what I was interested in. If the results with Amidol are visually better why use anything less? Eat the cost difference & use the creativity in your photographs rather than in exploring formulas. It is fun to explore but at some point you have to decide if fine prints are the goal or experimenting with chemical formulas are what you are really after.
    I am with Dan on this one, I am one of those that sticks with one formula, one developer and one paper until I know it back and forth. Having said that, I proposed experimenting with an alternative to Amidol because of the cost. On that note, King posted that pyrocat was more energetic with the addition of ascrobic acid. Perhaps this is all that is needed on the paper developer too..I dont know, I leave that to those who use azo to try and experiment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin